apple cinnamn crumb coffee cake WITH BLUEBERRIES
Posted: 14 May 2013 06:55 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2010-11-29

HI all, the directions for making this coffee cake with blueberries have confused me. If using apples, you fill the pan part way with batter, then lay on apple slices and some of the crumb topping. But for blueberries she says to sprinkle them on the assembled cake before adding the crumb topping on top. The berries will sink as the cake bakes.

I assume this means for the blueberries that you DON’T put some of the cinnamon crumb on the inside of the cake. Please advise—I’m starting to make this now!

Talk about waiting until the last minute!

Posted: 15 May 2013 10:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Just seeing this now- you must have already baked the cake- which option did you take and how did it turn out?

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 16 May 2013 01:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2010-11-29

Well, I finally decided it made sense to do exactly as she said for the apples. I still think the directions were a bit confusing. I put most of the batter in, smoothed it out, sprinkled the frozen blueberries (Wyman’s which she recommends) on top, blobbed the rest of the batter on top of the berries,and smoothed again. Baked 35 min, took it out and sprinkled on the crumb topping, returned to the oven for the 20-30 minutes she stated. It did take the full 30 minutes - it wasn’t 208 degrees, but the toothpick was clean.

The cake turned out beautifully. Got rave reviews and lots of compliments from my coworkers.

Posted: 17 May 2013 01:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Glad it worked out well- this is one of my all-time favorite Rose cakes smile

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 20 May 2013 05:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2011-05-31

I’m so glad you posted this Indysusan. I had the same problem when I made this cake last year - even though I’ve made the apple version several times with success, the instructions for the blueberry version confused me as well. I think I ended up putting the blueberries on top of the batter and even though it tasted great (according to guests…I didn’t even get a piece!), it didn’t look nearly as pretty as my previous apple cakes. I want to try it again because like Julie, it is one of my favorite Rose cakes, and I think I’ll do what you did. When you made yours, did the blueberries sink to the bottom or did they stay somewhere in the middle?