Frasier cake
Posted: 15 May 2013 11:46 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2011-10-21

I plan on making a strawberry cream cake using the st honore trifle recipe.  Does anyone know whether roses chiboust cream recipe is firm enough to use without a trifle bowl but as a free standing desert? Will it be firm enough to slice? Any idea if I should increase the gelatin and by how much? Help! I don’t want to end up with a soupy or rubbery mess !

Posted: 15 May 2013 05:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

Rose’s Chiboust in the Pie/Pastry Bible uses a larger amount of gelatin, 2 tsp for the same size recipe, because it is the amount that allows you to serve the Chiboust the same day it is made.  The 1.5 tsp in RHC for the St Honore is the amount she recommends when making the Chiboust a day ahead of serving, because the gelatin continues to firm up a little more as it sits in the fridge overnight.  Hope that helps smile

I made this cake using a flavor variation of the RHC St Honore Trifle, and it piped and sliced beautifully:  http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/index_ee.php/forums/viewthread/1875/

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 15 May 2013 11:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2011-10-21

Thanks Julie for getting back to me! Did you use 2 or 1.5 tsp of gelatin for that cake you made? It looks amazing!

Posted: 16 May 2013 08:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

This was a few years back, and I took notes on flavorings, but not on the gelatin.  In line with my usual practices, I think I made this a day ahead and used 1.5 tsp gelatin.  It was probably quite soft to work with for frosting/piping, but then adequate the next evening for slicing.  I do not remember slicing being any problem with this one.  If you decide to go with the lower amount and find it soft, you can always pop it in the fridge for a few hours before frosting and piping with it.  If you want to be safe and not have to give it another thought, or if you want to frost, pipe and serve the same day, go with 2 tsp.

Hope you’ll post pics, it sounds like a nice cake!

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe