Getting the perfect baked potato with a microwave
Posted: 16 May 2013 10:50 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2013-05-16

I’m not sure if this falls under real baking or not…but I’m having real trouble getting the perfect baked potato. Embarrassing I know!

To me, a baked potato should be crispy (but not burnt) on the outside and soft in the middle. My microwave doesn’t seem to let me do this, as the outside always ends up soggy.

What’s your secrets for getting the perfect baked potato? Should I just give up on the microwave and stick to the oven? The problem with that is that my oven takes so long to cook anything.

Thanks!

Edit: Forgot to say which microwave I’m using! It’s a panasonic but doesn’t have a grill or anything, just a basic microwave:

http://microwavereview.co.uk/118/panasonic-nn-e281bmbpq-black-compact-microwave-review/

Posted: 16 May 2013 04:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1352
Joined  2008-09-27

You won’t ever get a perfect baked potato in the microwave, or even a decent one. In a pinch, the microwave can accelerate the baking, but it has to finish up in the oven.

The baked potato is the only culinary item that I’ve mastered. I coat the potato in oil, followed by a heavy coating of salt, then I pierce the potato all over with a sharp knife. Bake at 425 until the internal temperature hits 212. No foil, of course.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 16 May 2013 04:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  767
Joined  2007-11-15

I don’t think you will ever get a good, crispy skinned potato baked in a microwave oven.  My solution, when short of time, is to bake it for a few minutes in the microwave then transfer it to the regular oven for about half an hour, depending on the size of the potato(es), of course.  After taking them out of the m/wave, brush with some olive oil and roll in some sea salt, for extra crunchy skin and flavour.  I hope this solves your problem. tongue laugh

Posted: 17 May 2013 01:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4781
Joined  2008-04-16

@CharlesT, do you use Russets?

@Jeannette, I’ve cooked potatoes in the microwave, and cooked them in the oven, but I haven’t yet finished off microwave potatoes in the oven, thanks for the tip smile

@jimmyslow, My main use for microwave potatoes is making either mashed potatoes or gnocchi.  I agree with the others that it must be difficult, if not impossible, to get a crisp skin in the microwave.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 17 May 2013 07:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1352
Joined  2008-09-27
Julie - 17 May 2013 04:34 PM

@CharlesT, do you use Russets?

Yep. It seems generally acknowledged that the high starch potatoes bake up the best.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach