Monster Truck Cake
Posted: 16 May 2013 02:30 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

Here is the cake i made for christophers bday. He’s 2 tomorrow!

This was a pain in the arse cake. I use the mirette tomboy cake in a 7x3 pan. I thought hmm…divide in 2 or 3…decided 2 would work. Then, i realized it wasn’t tall enough to look like a monstertruck tire with 2 layers only, so i needed to add height. I thought hmm..buddy always add rice krispy treats to his cakes…but i had only fruity pebbles. So i made fruit pebble marshmallow treats and added an extra 2 inches to the height of the cake and covered it with fondant.
ARFH!! 
no one will eat this cake but me and my husband and the kids, so i didnt measure the treads like i should of.

Image Attachments
cake resized.jpg

Posted: 16 May 2013 05:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3168
Joined  2010-04-25

That came out fabulous!!!  Definitely monstery!  Super-chunky!  Congratulations!

Brings to mind my college days and a late-night grocery trip where the cashier said, “I knows you kids been up to no good when you be buyin’ Fruity Pebbles in the middle of the night.”

Posted: 17 May 2013 01:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Love it!  The treads look great- the defining detail- and the writing is perfect.  Well done smile  Happy Birthday to Christopher!!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 18 May 2013 09:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1179
Joined  2009-11-24

That is so cute. Well done.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 20 May 2013 01:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

Thanks. I also want to add I froze this cake for a week with mmf on it and it was just fine. I am a firm believer u can freeze fondant.

Posted: 20 May 2013 07:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  909
Joined  2009-05-25

Love it!  I think it’s adorable—good to know about freezing fondant.  How did you defrost the cake?  Any special instructions?

Posted: 20 May 2013 09:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

I took it out of freezer Friday am (fully frosted and decorated) let it sit on the counter all day and ate it that night.  I really am unsure why everyone says freezing fondant is so bad. I’ve now frozen two mmf cakes and I’ve also frozen and refrigerated ‘regular’ fondant (mine consists of sugar corn syrup water milk) and have had no problems whatsoever.

Posted: 21 May 2013 02:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  909
Joined  2009-05-25

I’ve had success and disaster with refrigerated fondant….best case…looks perfect, worse case the fondant almost melts.  I believe condensation is the culprit.  I suppose if you have a/c and humidity control, things would be safer.  I did a 3 tier wedding cake covered in chocolate glaze and fondant appliques in the middle of summer (and very humid) and the cake looked like a Salvador Dali painting!  That said this was way back in my baking experience and I don’t think I had a cover for the cake.  Doing it again, I would have an airtight container and would bring to full room temperature before opening to the humidity.

Posted: 21 May 2013 03:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  56
Joined  2008-07-30

Nice cake, I am sure he was very happy to see his birthday cake smile

Signature 

http://www.facebook.com/FantasyCakesByCassy

Posted: 22 May 2013 07:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  185
Joined  2012-05-23

Very nice cake, i like the idea!

Signature 

The way to man’s heart is trough his stomach!

Franchise Takeaway

‹‹ Mothers Day Cake      Suckling Piglet ››