Gelatin newsflash
Posted: 18 May 2013 03:53 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2013-04-02

Hi,

I was recently browsing a holistic cooking website and discovered that most cheap brands of gelatin contain MSG.  What?  I had no idea of this, and I thought I would share it since many cooking/baking projects, such as pudding, contain gelatin, and I know that many people react badly to MSG.  I occasionally get a migraine from it and always have trouble sleeping the night that I’ve eaten it. Two brands of gelatin that do not contain it are Bernard Jensen and Great Lakes. If you are planning to use gelatin, I recommend you invest in these brands, although they might be a little more pricey.  If you can’t find them at your supermarket, you can order them online.

Posted: 18 May 2013 08:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1329
Joined  2008-09-27

Do you have a link?

My research shows that ALL gelatin contains glutamic acid, which is a natural result of the manufacturing process. This stuff is, however, bound up with other proteins and isn’t “free”, so it doesn’t cause problems with MSG sensitive individuals. Here’s a Great Lakes article:

http://www.greatlakesgelatin.com/consumer/noMSG.php

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 27 May 2013 02:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2013-04-02
CharlesT - 18 May 2013 11:35 PM

Do you have a link?

My research shows that ALL gelatin contains glutamic acid, which is a natural result of the manufacturing process. This stuff is, however, bound up with other proteins and isn’t “free”, so it doesn’t cause problems with MSG sensitive individuals. Here’s a Great Lakes article:

http://www.greatlakesgelatin.com/consumer/noMSG.php

Here’s the link.  You might have to scroll down a bit to get to the bit about MSG.

The author of this blog is actually a very good friend of mine and I completely trust her advice.

Posted: 27 May 2013 03:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1329
Joined  2008-09-27
Love_To_Bake - 27 May 2013 05:41 PM

I completely trust her advice.

I don’t. Most people are pretty careless about what they represent as facts, and don’t really have a good idea of how to critically examine a claim for plausibility. I give more credibility to those with some sort of technical training, such as scientists or engineers, people who think pretty analytically and aren’t afraid to offend people by being skeptical.

Even so, it’s good practice when making a claim to provide some sort of reliable reference to support the validity of your claim. The link she provided doesn’t do that; in fact, it undermines her claim because the page referenced has the heading “Gelatin has no MSG.” This is, in fact, the same page I linked to.

My suspicion is that those who think that Gelatin has MSG have confused it with “Glutamic Acid”.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach