Cake did not rise in center
Posted: 23 May 2013 11:50 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2013-05-23

Hello
Im new here so if this is the wrong place to ask this question please someone “gently” steer me in the correct direction
I baked the Hot Milk Cake from MIETTE (for the third time) last night .  The previous times I have made this cake, all went well.  Last night I was so disappointed to discover that the center of each cake did not rise .. . .Does anyone have any thoughts as to why this might have happened.  Since i have made this before - I cant blame the recipe . . . .
Thanks in advace

Posted: 23 May 2013 02:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2013-05-23

I watched it carefully through the door and dont believe it ever rose.  It is just weird becasue i have had success several times before.  :(

Posted: 27 May 2013 02:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2013-04-02

Marybethlynn,

Rather than say that it didn’t rise, I would say that it fell after it rose.

A good way to avoid this, or at least decrease the results, is to allow the cake to cool inside the oven.  It might impart a “brittle” but very thin crust, but it is worth it.  In my experience, I find that it increases the fall if you allow the cake to switch temperatures very quickly.  If you wish, you could crack the oven door a little bit to allow hot air to come out, which might decrease the slight crust. 

Once the cake is iced and, if a layer cake, placed with the other layers, the crust is completely unnoticeable, so I would not shy away from this.  It’s worth a try, anyway.

LOVE_TO_BAKE

‹‹ Gelatin newsflash      New foodie blog ››