Cake did not rise in center
Posted: 23 May 2013 11:50 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2013-05-23

Hello
Im new here so if this is the wrong place to ask this question please someone “gently” steer me in the correct direction
I baked the Hot Milk Cake from MIETTE (for the third time) last night .  The previous times I have made this cake, all went well.  Last night I was so disappointed to discover that the center of each cake did not rise .. . .Does anyone have any thoughts as to why this might have happened.  Since i have made this before - I cant blame the recipe . . . .
Thanks in advace

Posted: 23 May 2013 02:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1360
Joined  2008-09-27

Probably the center rose, then collapsed. Lots of possible causes….too much baking powder, not enough mixing, oven too hot, too much liquid.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 23 May 2013 02:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2013-05-23

I watched it carefully through the door and dont believe it ever rose.  It is just weird becasue i have had success several times before.  :(

Posted: 23 May 2013 02:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1360
Joined  2008-09-27
marybethlynn - 23 May 2013 05:11 PM

I watched it carefully through the door and dont believe it ever rose.  It is just weird becasue i have had success several times before.  :(

Check your baking powder to see if it’s gone bad.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 24 May 2013 01:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  603
Joined  2007-11-18

marybethlynn - 23 May 2013 02:50 PM

Hello
Im new here so if this is the wrong place to ask this question please someone “gently” steer me in the correct direction
I baked the Hot Milk Cake from MIETTE (for the third time) last night .  The previous times I have made this cake, all went well.  Last night I was so disappointed to discover that the center of each cake did not rise .. . .Does anyone have any thoughts as to why this might have happened.  Since i have made this before - I cant blame the recipe . . . .
Thanks in advace

MARYBETHLYNN:
    Good morning to you. I am sorry to learn of your recent baking disappoinment.  As you know Mary, there are more than one reason why your baked product fell in the center.

Mary here is my logic being that you have successfully baked this cake before & have done it exactly the same way each time then my feeling is this…IS IT A CHANGE OF INGREDIENTS???

EXAMPLE: Have you changed another sugar producer perhaps??? Have you bought a large bag of sugar from a big box wherehouse lately???? Generally your stated condition occurs most often due to a sugar problem
So if you bought a new bag of sugar post back with particulars. Otherwise, you can post the recipe & directions & we then can scrutinize it for proper balancing.

Till then Mary enjoy the rest of the day.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 24 May 2013 01:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  769
Joined  2007-11-15

Freshkid, How nice to ‘see’ you back on the forum!  I come on here occasionally, not as much as I used to, and haven’t seen your name appear for a long time.  I hope you are well, are you still baking? grin

Posted: 24 May 2013 04:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18
jeannette - 24 May 2013 04:50 PM

Freshkid, How nice to ‘see’ you back on the forum! I come on here occasionally, not as much as I used to, and haven’t seen your name appear for a long time. I hope you are well, are you still baking? grin

JEANNETTE:
Good afternoon my friend. I have not posted since Aug 2010.

I have been well & still baking somewhat. I am not able to bake much because of my disabileties…I just bake my NY Philly cheesecakes & my authentic Scottish shortbread cookies which I gift to friends every now & then.

Thank you for asking Jeannette. How about you my friend??? How are you doing in the kithchen???

Enjoy the rest of the day Jeannette.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 25 May 2013 10:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

~FRESHKID, how nice to “see” you!  So glad to hear you have been doing well smile

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 25 May 2013 11:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18
Julie - 25 May 2013 01:23 PM

~FRESHKID, how nice to “see” you!  So glad to hear you have been doing well smile

JULIE:
    Good morning my learned friend. Thank you much for the kind sentiment…I do appreciate it very much.

Julie it is good to be back & I hope I can help someone every now & then with their baking disappointments.

JULIE:
  I hope you will do me a favor. Some time ago when I had 10/20, minutes I would lurk around. I once noticed your posting of a
  superior MATH FORMULA for subst one choco cocoa strength for another. I felt it was a superior formula & I copied it. I have referred to it from time to time in the past just for pass time using my hand held calculator. Julie I cannot locate my copy. I would like to do the various problems using that formula..
Julie can you locate it for me or post it to me by ~E~Mail??? I would appreciate it very much my friend. Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

CASS/~FRESHKID.

Posted: 26 May 2013 07:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  600
Joined  2007-11-27

It’s so good to have you back, Freshkid! Missed you smile

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 26 May 2013 08:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

~FRESHKID, happy to oblige- was it a formula for correcting the cocoa butter content of a low-fat cocoa? In recipes where the cocoa is bloomed, I use 80% low-fat cocoa and 20% chopped unsweetened chocolate in place of the full-fat cocoa.  I have posted before about using 75%/25% and that works well, too, I just prefer to err on the side of more cocoa as I find it gives a tad more chocolate intensity.

Or was it one that converted a bar chocolate of a certain chocolate liquor content, for example using 85% chocolate in a recipe that calls for 60% chocolate?

Signature 

Posted: 26 May 2013 03:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18

JULIE:
  Good morning my friend. It was the one where you subst. the 72% choco bar for the 52% choco bar in a recipe.

I will take the other one as well it seems very interesting. I may have that one in my files but I may not. I appreciate your help.

Enjoy the long weekend my friend.

~CASS/FRESHKID.

Posted: 26 May 2013 03:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18
Jeanne - 26 May 2013 10:27 AM

It’s so good to have you back, Freshkid! Missed you smile

JEANNE:
    Good morning my friend. Thank you for your kind welcome. I appreciate it very much.

I am happy to be back. I hope I can help a member every now & then.

Good luck to you from Las Vegas, NV & enjoy the long weekend.

~CASS/FRESHKID.

Posted: 27 May 2013 09:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

CASS, happy to post about chocolate smile  For a recipe that has a means of easily adding or subtracting sugar, it goes like this:

chocolate liquor % needed:  53%
chocolate liquor % sitting in my pantry:  72%

If the recipe calls for 200g of chocolate, that means that it needs 53% of that amount in chocolate liquor and the rest in sugar. 
chocolate liquor needed 0.53 x 200 = 106g, and simplifying and assuming the rest is sugar, 200-106 = 94g   So the recipe calls for 106g of chocolate liquor and 94g of sugar.

Next I find the amount of 72% chocolate that will give me the required 106g of chocolate liquor.
106 / 0.72 = 147g, so 147g is the right amount of 72% chocolate to use.

To correct the sugar content, first find the amount of sugar in the 147g of 72% chocolate.
(1 - 0.72) x 147 = 41g
From the first step, above, we know that the recipe calls for 94g of sugar, and we have 41g, so the difference needs to be added to the recipe along with the rest of the sugar, 94 - 41 = 53g

To sum up, if a recipe calls for 200g of 53% chocolate, you can substitute 147g of 72% chocolate plus 53g of sugar.

Hope that is clear and makes sense smile

Signature 

Posted: 27 May 2013 01:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18

JULIE:
  Good morning. Thank you for posting the recipe for me. I appreciate it.

Enjoy the long weekend.

~CASS.

Posted: 27 May 2013 02:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2013-04-02

Marybethlynn,

Rather than say that it didn’t rise, I would say that it fell after it rose.

A good way to avoid this, or at least decrease the results, is to allow the cake to cool inside the oven.  It might impart a “brittle” but very thin crust, but it is worth it.  In my experience, I find that it increases the fall if you allow the cake to switch temperatures very quickly.  If you wish, you could crack the oven door a little bit to allow hot air to come out, which might decrease the slight crust. 

Once the cake is iced and, if a layer cake, placed with the other layers, the crust is completely unnoticeable, so I would not shy away from this.  It’s worth a try, anyway.

LOVE_TO_BAKE

‹‹ Gelatin newsflash      New foodie blog ››