Rose’s Scottish Shortbread—Type of flour
Posted: 24 May 2013 10:29 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  144
Joined  2010-05-24

I’ve made Rose’s Scottish Shortbread according to the recipe given in the video below and have had good results. I usually use King Arthur unbleached AP flour. In the recipe, it’s not clear whether one should use unbleached or bleached. I’ve had success with unbleached, but was wondering if other folks have a different preference. I hesitate in experimenting with the bleached, because I typically like to roll out the shortbread dough and cut them into circles. I worry that using my Gold Medal bleached AP flour (lower gluten) would cause the cookies to spread too much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N2iFtOyFgc

Posted: 24 May 2013 11:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  632
Joined  2008-01-24

I use AP with shortbread. I haven’t tried bleached. I thing AP is the correct flour for shortbread.

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 25 May 2013 10:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4781
Joined  2008-04-16

I’m with Gene, a lower-protein flour than KA unbleached AP might be preferable.  KA unbleached AP has more protein than just about any other AP flour, it is more like a bread flour from other brands.  One step lower in protein would be something like Gold Medal unbleached AP.  Switching to that would give you a little more tenderness, and I don’t think it would render the dough too fragile to roll out.  If it seems hard to roll, use temperature to fix that (chill the dough a bit).

That said, with shortbread, I feel like the flavor of butter is the main focus.  My goal would be to use great butter and then do everything possible to bring out the butter flavor, which means omitting the salt (which Rose’s recipe does) and using a bleached AP flour.  Unbleached AP has more of a noticeable wheat flavor (which is why it’s so great for making breads) whereas bleached AP is more neutral, not detracting from other flavors in the dough.  Try a small batch with bleached AP and see what you think.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 25 May 2013 11:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  589
Joined  2007-11-18
michaelnrdx - 25 May 2013 01:29 AM

I’ve made Rose’s Scottish Shortbread according to the recipe given in the video below and have had good results. I usually use King Arthur unbleached AP flour. In the recipe, it’s not clear whether one should use unbleached or bleached. I’ve had success with unbleached, but was wondering if other folks have a different preference. I hesitate in experimenting with the bleached, because I typically like to roll out the shortbread dough and cut them into circles. I worry that using my Gold Medal bleached AP flour (lower gluten) would cause the cookies to spread too much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N2iFtOyFgc

MICHEAELNRDX:
  Good morning. Michael, there are 3 things I know about baking & it is these 3 items.
NY Cheesecake & Shortbread cookies, & baking science.

I will state my very very strong opinion on this subject. Hoping you will try it just once. I will not post my formula that is a superior & authentic Scottish recipe. I am sure that your recipe is a sound one as well. Gold medal/Pillsbury AP “BLEACHED FLOUR
is the flour of choice it is rated 3G on the side of the flour bag in proteins. KAF flour although sold as a AP flour in essence is a low level BREAD flour & superior flour at 11.7% protein strength rated as 4g on the bag side in protein.  This flour is to strong for a dessert baked bread. It is perfect for a fruitcake dessert but not for cookies!!!!

Michael, I am sorry to say that Miss Rose omitted the salt in her version of shortbread cookies. IT DOES REQUIRE IT!!!! TRUST ME on that. Use exactly 1/4,tsp per stick of unsalted butter / 1,tsp./per pound of butter. NO MORE & NO LESS!!!

NOTE:
Michael, I will not post this as it is well known Miss Rose has gone on record as favoring the use of “BLEACHED FLOUR when employing a solid fat,ie, BUTTER, SHORTENING, LARD, ete. Nuff said!!!

Michael I sincerly hope you will bake these cookies employing my recomendations & come back & tells how much you enjoyed them.

Good luck & enjoy the day.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 25 May 2013 11:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  144
Joined  2010-05-24

I usually bake the shortbread according to Rose’s recipe, but with more butter (as suggested by Rose) for cutting them into individual cookies. One time, I cut the shortbread into squares and noticed that they distorted in shape during baking. They were still squares in the end, but not neat, perfect squares. After that incident, I cut the shortbread into circles, which distort evenly on all sides, so there’s no noticeable distortion. This was why I was concerned about using bleached AP flours, because they are lower in gluten than my KA flour and lower gluten would mean more spreading. However, it might still be ok if I’m making circular cookies. I may try this next time, since all the folks here prefer bleached.

Regarding the salt, I’ve tried Rose’s recipe, which doesn’t have salt, and found it lacking in flavor. The cookies had a fuller flavor when I added the salt. But then again, I wasn’t using the finest quality butter, so maybe that was why I needed the salt. I used a medium quality butter (Costco Grade AA), not top-notch butters like Plugra cultured. I’m sure it would probably taste better, since butter is the main ingredient here. Next time…