Keeping scones fresh
Posted: 25 May 2013 11:19 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  144
Joined  2010-05-24

I’ve baked Rose’s scones a dozen times now and they really are the best scones I’ve ever tasted. No other bakery I’ve been to uses the puff pastry technique in making scones, and Rose’s scones are like a cross between a soft biscuit and a flaky croissant. When they are fresh out of the oven and still warm, they’re soft, light, and incredibly flaky (you can hear the crunch when you bite it). However, I’ve always found that after they have cooled and sat for half a day or more, they lose some of the flakiness and become slightly denser in texture. I cool and store them per Rose’s instructions. After they come out of the oven, I wrap them with paper towels and set them on a cooling rack until they are room temperature. Then I store them in an airtight cookie tin. Whatever I do, they just don’t retain that fresh out of the oven texture.

Has anyone else had this experience? I love making these scones for people, and they always tell me they’re really good. But I know that they didn’t experience the scone like I did, unless I invite them to my house and serve it to them fresh out of the oven.

Posted: 27 May 2013 01:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  901
Joined  2009-05-25

Hi Michael,

I am still experimenting with scone storage and freshness myself.  One suggestion is to try freezing the scones and baking fresh when you need them.  I have not figured out specific adjustments in baking time, etc. but it may be something you wish to investigate more.  I have only tried this a couple of times and I was not keeping track of my attempts but I did get ok results.  The biggest problem I had was the outsides were sometimes overdone.  Perhaps thawing overnight in the fridge or a lower baking temperature may help…

Posted: 29 May 2013 03:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  144
Joined  2010-05-24

I do bake the scones fresh when I need them, but I also like to give them to friends who will eat them the next day. The scones lose their flakiness fast. Even half a day later, they are already noticeably less flaky.

I just baked the scones again on Monday. This time I simply cooled them on cooling racks (which Rose said would cause them to dry out). I didn’t notice any difference than when I had wrapped them with paper towels. The next day, the scones were still good, but not very flaky anymore.

I wonder if overbaking them would help retain the flakiness. It would dry out the scone, but perhaps it needs to be dried out to set the structure. One of my friends also suggested that I can try toasting the scone next day to revive it. Perhaps I may try that.

An irrelevant note, I had leftover sour cream that I needed to use up and revised the recipe using sour cream instead of heavy cream. I had to calculate the amounts of butter and sour cream to use to get the same amount of water and fat as in the original recipe (more butter, less sour cream than heavy cream). It turned out very well. In fact, because more of the fat was in the form of butter instead of a liquid, I was able to get a flakier scone from doing the puff pastry turns. I suspect that if one were to use an even lower fat liquid such as buttermilk, even more butter would be needed and the result would be an even flakier scone! Something to experiment with.

Posted: 29 May 2013 01:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4781
Joined  2008-04-16
michaelnrdx - 29 May 2013 06:27 AM

The scones lose their flakiness fast.

...because more of the fat was in the form of butter instead of a liquid, I was able to get a flakier scone from doing the puff pastry turns. I suspect that if one were to use an even lower fat liquid such as buttermilk, even more butter would be needed and the result would be an even flakier scone! Something to experiment with.

Good to know, thanks so much for reporting your results! smile

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 30 May 2013 06:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  901
Joined  2009-05-25

What about reheating as for pies/bread to help restore crispness?  Haven’t tried it but perhaps worth a go if it helps the texture.