Painted Fondant and Refrigeration of Cake Until Delivery
Posted: 15 August 2008 02:38 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-08-15

Hello All…..I’m am so happy to have found this site> It seems as though most of my baking and decorating questions are going to be answered here. Yeah!!!!
Here’s my most pressing question right now. I am going to be decorating a fondant covered buttercake in the next couple of weeks. The fondant is going to be handpainted with luster dusts and guilding.  It’s going to take at the very least 36 hours as the design is very intricate. Here is my dilema….It’s a three tiered cake! How do I keep all those tiers moist while working on them, and then….can I put the lustered cakes in the refrigerator? Plus, how can I prepare it to put in the fridge…. if it can be done….without ruining the finish?
Rose or anyone….can you help? Forever grateful for any help.
Amelia

Posted: 15 August 2008 03:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2599
Joined  2007-11-15

Welcome Amelia - I’m hoping someone with more fondant experience will chime in here, but I think it’s a pretty widely held belief that it’s best not to refrigerate fondant covered cakes, however some people do refrigerate them (works better if you don’t have a humid refrigerator).  Even if your fondant doesn’t pick up any moisture from your refrigerator, you need to be aware that doing so will risk condensation forming on the surface of the fondant when you removed the cake from the fridge, which could drip and make a mess of your hand-painted decorations.  How long do you think it will take to decorate the tiers?  The fondant should help to preserve the freshness of your cake for a while - as long as you don’t use a perishable filling, you should be able to keep the cake at room temp for 24 hours (maybe more).  Best of luck to you and please post photos of your finished cake!

Signature 

Come visit me at

Blog:  http://butteryum.org
Twitter:  https://twitter.com/ButterYum
Pinterest:  http://www.pinterest.com/butteryum/
Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/ButterYum.ATastyLittleFoodBlog

Posted: 15 August 2008 06:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1421
Joined  2007-11-15

Amelia, you are playing with fire!!!  Ideally, I would work on a cold room, 60 degrees.  Your butter cake will be firm and fresh at this temperature.  If you decide to use your refrigerator, please set the temperature in the high 40s or 50s, yes, your food will spoil, but your cake will have the least risk of condensation.  At this temperature your butter cake will last several days.

When you take the cake out of the fridge, you must place your cake in an air conditioned room, so the air is dry.  Running a dehumidifier is a good idea, too.  Once the cake has reached room temperature, then you can place it on a non-air conditioned environment.

Good luck!

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 15 August 2008 08:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2007-11-27

what kind of refrigeration are you using - a home fridge?  industrial walk in cooler?  industrial reach in?  the level of humidity will be different in each type.

Are you making your own fondant or using a commercial brand?  Most commercial fondants say they don’t succumb to condensation, but this is not true.

I have a very humid walk in cooler and a humid reach in.  I have the “best” results when I put a fondant covered cake in a box, and then wrap the box in a large sheet pan bag.  If I don’t do this (and there have been times when I haven’t) then the fondant will weep as it comes to rm temp, and if you were painting on the fondant, the painting would be ruined.

So, if I were facing 36 hours of work, I’d test it first.

I’m just curious:  What are you using to mix the luster dust with?  Are you using a US brand or a European brand of dust?  I have a few jars of dust from Squires Kitchen and find the color very deep and beautiful.  Not that it is better than the stuff we can get here, but just different.

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 31 August 2009 03:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2009-08-30

Thanks Jeanne, I am using walk-in cooler, commercial fondant. I have to leave town for two days and will have a limited amount of time to decorate when I return so all I plan on refrigerating is the cake with a covering of fondant and then I will decorate when I return. As far as the luster dust I am going to pick some up while I’m away. “The Decorette Shop” is a retail cake supply store in Portland Oregon where I will be for a few days. Any reccomndation as far as petal and luster dust brands?
Thanks,
Ryan

Posted: 31 August 2009 06:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2007-11-27

I use whatever the house brand is that Pfeil and Holing carries; it’s the same as the ones you get from Avalon, CalJava, Beryls, Geraldine Randlesome, Country Kitchens….  there’s a new line of crystal colors out that I haven’t tried yet - I haven’t ordered any to know whether they are truly dusts or fine grain ...

But two weeks ago, all of my fondant practically melted off the cakes.  We had no a/c in the kitchen, an unusually hot and humid weather pattern and I was desperate.  We called the building manager who got the a/c working again, but even the royal icing decorations were flattening out and spreading.  The irony is that the fondant I applied on the cakes that day did the same thing; I am beginning to suspect that my favorite manufacturer has changed their formula because I’ve never had this problem before.

As much as I hate for summer to be almost at a close, I am glad I won’t have this problem much longer and the real joy will be in having Rose’s new book in hand smile!

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 01 September 2009 11:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

Jeanne, so sorry you had that problem with the fondant. Hope you get to the bottom of the mystery and get it sorted. Sounds like you might have to change brands, but what a thing to have to deal with at this time of year!!!

Posted: 13 November 2009 04:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-11-13

Reading all of these stuffs made my mouth watery..Could somebody share some simple recipes for a newbie baker like me? Thanks a lot!

Regards,
chelseadock
Ordinateur portable pas cher