Floral wire in cake decorating
Posted: 29 May 2013 10:58 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2009-10-01

I’ve seen shows and pictures of cakes where wire is used to hold some fondant decoration out from the cake. As far as I can tell, it often looks like just regular silver floral wire. Is it safe to use that? Does it need to be covered with something? If it needs to be covered, is floral tape any safer than the wire itself? Does anyone have direct experience with something like this?

Posted: 29 May 2013 03:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  670
Joined  2012-01-12

Yes, floral is ok.  Although there have been instances where the wire left some rust in the cake, but the ones that are wrapped in tape and that green wrapping are ok, but depending on the type of wire… You can also attach those wires on one end of a skewer or stick them into straws and stick the skewer or straws into the cake if the naked wire idea frightens you. Sylvia Weinstock, Ron Ben Isreal, and Nicholas Lodge does that all the time and they are the masters of gum paste flowers. Don’t worry about it. I have done them too.

here is a discussion about this:

http://cakecentral.com/t/35372/attaching-gumpaste-flowers-with-wire

Posted: 29 May 2013 03:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1174
Joined  2009-11-24

sticking them in straws or coffee stirrers is what the classes are teaching on Craftsy

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.