1 of 2
Favorite 12 inch cake
Posted: 02 June 2013 09:19 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

My dad wants me to make another tire cake, this time a mustang tire. I am going to do 2 12 inch cakes and layer them.  Could anyone provide their favorite 12 inch cake from either tbc or rhc?  I haven’t made any layers this big and I don’t really have time for a practice taste test.  It can either be chocolate or yellow or white etc, I plan on frosting it though with probably j ust a plain vanilla since I will be covering it in mmf.  I would prefer NOT to have to syrup the cake, and I will be freezing it prior, any suggestions?

Posted: 02 June 2013 02:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  910
Joined  2009-05-25

Hi SN,
You like oil cakes, correct?  From RHC the Deep Chocolate Passion has a recipe written for a 12” cake.  You don’t have to syrup it, but you can if you like.  Rose has butter cakes in TCB that have adjustments for various sizes.  I made a syruped version (which is not normally my thing) of the white velvet (I can’t recall the names of the white cakes…) for a wedding and it was given rave reviews.  I basically made it and syruped it, filled it, and then froze the cake so I had to do when I took it out of the freezer was frost and decorate.  Love to see your next tire cake!

Posted: 02 June 2013 02:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

I considered doing the deep choc passion but wasn’t sure how it tasted without being syrup ex. I was not a fan of butter cakes from tcb so that’s why I am srtraying…..

Posted: 02 June 2013 03:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

SN,  I have never syruped the deep choc passion cake and it always is very moist, especially with a filling.  It is my favorite chocolate cake.  But I do love the All Occassion Downey Yellow Butter Cake from the cake bible.  I normally find most butter cakes a tad on the dry side, but the yellow butter cake has always turned out moist for me.  I have had more requests for this cake than any other.

Can’t wait to see pictures.

Posted: 02 June 2013 09:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

Thanks I agree I find the butter cakes too dry for my taste buds. I. Have never made the yellow one though…..argh choices choices

Posted: 03 June 2013 10:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4795
Joined  2008-04-16

Syruping takes so little time and effort, perhaps reconsider?  Measure, boil, spoon it on the cakes and you’re done in 10 minutes.  Put more around the edges and less in the center, and you can skip the sides (easier to frost).  I rarely syrup smaller cakes, but with a larger cake like your 12 inch round there is almost always a little dryness because it takes longer for the center to bake and the edges dry out.  Syrups can be just sugar + water, with maybe a little extract or liqueur if you feel like it. 

All that said, if you’re not going to syrup, the Deep Choco Passion cake is a great choice for someone who enjoys oil cakes.  It will be as moist as anything will be when baked in a pan that size.

Looking forward to seeing your cake!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 03 June 2013 01:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

I’ve syruped before and I know it’s easy I am just trying to take out every bit of time I possibly can since I barely have time in my life to bake a cake!  I think I’m going to do the choc passion cake.  Seems like that will work.

Posted: 04 June 2013 09:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

One more stupid question, I only have one 12 inch pan. Is it ok to bake one and let the other half of batter sit out while other half is baking ?

Posted: 04 June 2013 09:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

And how much syrup (simple syrup) would I put on 2 12 inch layers?

Posted: 04 June 2013 10:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  683
Joined  2012-01-12
SweetNess14445 - 05 June 2013 12:26 AM

One more stupid question, I only have one 12 inch pan. Is it ok to bake one and let the other half of batter sit out while other half is baking ?

Yes.

Posted: 04 June 2013 10:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-12
SweetNess14445 - 05 June 2013 12:38 AM

And how much syrup (simple syrup) would I put on 2 12 inch layers?

When I need simple syrup, I use Torani Italian Syrup. They come is so many great flavors. It is really hard to come up with an exact amount of syrup, but for me I do not use pastry brush, I use a small spray bottle for a more even application. And it also depends how moist you want your cake.

Posted: 05 June 2013 07:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

Hmm so just a light coat?

Posted: 05 June 2013 08:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

If you are making the deep choco passion from RHC, and you want to use simple syrup instead of the dairy-chocolate syrup, I would suggest about 75% of the quantity listed for two 12” rounds.  You can go higher or lower with no problems.  Going higher will produce a very, very moist cake and lower will hardly be noticeable.

Good luck! smile

Signature 

Posted: 05 June 2013 01:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-12

Not sure where that “dairy-chocolate” came from,  but that was not I was referring to.  Torani is simple syrup w/ flavors that can be used on anything, coffee, dessert etc.  I was not talking of coffee creamer unless it is in that recipe you are talking about.  There is a huge difference.

This is Torani Syrup NOT coffee creamer..no dairy here.  The blue label is sugar free and the red label is regular.  Sound to me that you do not have a lot of time on your hands to make this cake,  that is why Torani syrup would work well.  Unless you really want to do that extra work and time.

Image Attachments
torani1.jpgtorani.jpg

Posted: 05 June 2013 01:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-12
SweetNess14445 - 05 June 2013 10:35 AM

Hmm so just a light coat?

Again that depends how moist you want your cake.  You cannot go wrong with spray bottle.  The application is a lot more even.  I used to use the pastry brush and the cake has parts where it has more syrup than other parts of the cake.  Since I used the spray bottle,  I have not used the brush.  To me, you have MORE control of how much syrup goes in the cake.

Posted: 06 June 2013 10:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16
prettycake - 05 June 2013 04:51 PM

Not sure where that “dairy-chocolate” came from,  but that was not I was referring to.

Wasn’t referring to your comments on syrup, but rather to the deep chocolate passion cake recipe in Rose’s Heavenly Cakes, a book which the OP recently bought.  That recipe includes, along with the chocolate sponge cake, a recipe for syrup made from either milk+chocolate or cream+chocolate.  It is a scratch recipe, not a purchased product.

Signature 

1 of 2