Stupid question,,,freezing cakes
Posted: 02 June 2013 09:18 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

So I have been making cakes, decorating fully and freezing lately. They have been turning out great. The next cake though I don’t think I can do all in one day so I was thinking of making the cakes prior and then decorating them, say, the next day. my question is, would the cake be ok if I made it, wrapped it in plastic wrap and put in the FRIDGE overnight, and then the next day frosted, covered in fondant, decorated, and froze?  Then, I’d do as normal and take from the freezer, to the fridge, then to the counter on day of serving.

Just wondering if this is too much fridge freezer fridge nonsense.?..

Posted: 02 June 2013 10:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  674
Joined  2012-01-12

Cold cake handles very well during assembly. Not sure what kind of cake you have in mind. But with “normal” cakes, this is totally fine. I have never frozen a fondant covered cake though. I freeze my cakes b4 decoration. When decorated, I cover it in plastic loosely and stick in the fridge for a couple of days. Cake makers who makes cakes as big as 6 feet tall do not bake and decorate on the same day. Cake Central has so much info on this topic, not just from one source or book

Posted: 03 June 2013 10:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4789
Joined  2008-04-16

I think just about any cake would be fine being refrigerated overnight before decorating the next day, as long as you do a great job wrapping it.  Plastic wrap is porous so if you just use one layer of that the cake will lose moisture.  Consider adding a layer of foil over the plastic to keep it as moist as possible. 

re: freezing fondant, sounds like you’ve done it before and know the ropes.  My very limited experience with freezing fondant had it get a bit sticky/gooey with condensation while warming up, but once it came all the way up to room temp it dried back out and was fine.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 03 June 2013 01:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

Hmm good to know. I am now thinking maybe I should bake and frost and then freeze instead and then j ust decorate the day before and let sit out. Argh I don’t know.  I like to have things done and out of my head lol.

Posted: 03 June 2013 01:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-12

Fondant attracts moisture because as we all know sugar attracts moisture.  You decide,  if you want to freeze fondant, but IMHO there is no need to freeze fondant unless that cake will be served weeks before.  Wrapping it in layers of plastic wrap would help.

Posted: 03 June 2013 01:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

Yea the reason I was going to freeze was I was going to make it a week in advance

Posted: 03 June 2013 01:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-12

This cake I decorated one week before the event and it was fine.. I did not freeze this, but I covered it in plastic wrap loosely..

Image Attachments
pradacake.jpg

Posted: 03 June 2013 02:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

Wow that’s awesome!  I’m too scared to make it a week ahead…mostly because I have made fondant covered cookies a week ahead and wrapped them in plastic wrap and then saved end for a taste test. I had another cookie in the fridge for a week and another in the freezer. The results were the cookie on the counter wrapped was the most dried out (still tasted good but a lot drier). The cookie from the fridge tasted much much fresher and the cookie from the freezer tasted like I just made it.

Posted: 03 June 2013 02:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-12

Thank u. I never freeze anything, except baked undecorated layer cakes. But anything decorated,  I never freeze.