How much buttercream frosting for 36 cupcakes & 1/2 sheet cake
Posted: 03 June 2013 01:30 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  71
Joined  2011-04-30

I will be making 36 cupcakes and a half sheet cake this weekend.
The cupcakes will have a Vanilla BC single swirl/rosette using a large tip and the cake will have two layers of chocolate cake with one layer of chocolate buttercream filling to include standard borders and decorations.

Can someone please tell me how much mousseline buttercream frosting I will need for both?

Thank you.

Posted: 04 June 2013 09:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  602
Joined  2007-11-27

If you are using the batch size with 2.5# of butter, you will need one batch for the cupcakes and another batch for the cake.  If your cupcakes are the medium size (like the cupcake tins most people have at home), you might only use half of that batch and can use the extra on the cake.  If you are using the large size for cupcakes you probably won’t have much left and may need a little more for the cake.

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 04 June 2013 02:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4797
Joined  2008-04-16

Just wanted to note that Jeanne’s batch size is from the wedding cake section, p. 514, it uses 2.5 pounds of butter to make 11 cups of frosting.

I’ll add something on the smaller batch size (one pound of butter or 4.5 cups of mousseline), because my 6QT KA mixer won’t handle the 11 cup batch, it can only handle about 9 cups of mousseline at a time.

For Rose’s mousseline, I have in my notes that one cup frosts 8 cupcakes, so 36 would need about one batch (4.5 cups of mousseline, using one pound of butter). 

For the half sheet cake, Rose’s chart on p. 513 of the Cake Bible suggests that you would need 6 cups of frosting for the top and sides of a single 12x18x1.75 layer.  If you’re going to make two of those and fill between the layers, you would need double that amount, or 12 cups.  That chart does not include decorating, so if you’re going to pipe edges, etc., you might want to include another 3 cups.  In all, cake, filling and decorating, it might take 15 cups of frosting, or about 3 1/3 batches.

So for both projects, 19.5 cups of mousseline or about 4 1/3 batches.  This is very close to what Jeanne is saying, 22 cups.

Hope you have a humongous mixer smile

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 06 June 2013 04:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  71
Joined  2011-04-30

Hi guys!
You don’t know how you made my life a little bit easier with your help. I do have a 6 QT KA mixer and I learned it the messy way when I “forced” to make the 11 C Mousseline recipe.
I now know my plan of attack wink

I am also looking for a larger sized cupcake pan. I find that the calphalon cupcake/muffin pans are smaller while I find the jumbo 6-well pans a bit too large. Any suggestions where I can find just the right sized ones?

Thanks you.

Posted: 07 June 2013 02:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  687
Joined  2012-01-12

When I do large batches I always have my three KA mixers lined up. Glad you got the answer to your question.