karmel cake - scaling up and making the caramel
Posted: 04 June 2013 11:11 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  144
Joined  2011-05-15

So i wanted to bake the karmel cake in a 10 inch pan.. planning on baking a two layer 10 inch cake ... i ve had trouble with this cke before.. but not in terms of size but in terms of the making of the caamel itself. mine kept splitting and i ended up blitzing it to make it a homogenous mixture… 
anyhooe someone anyone please help =) how should i scale this cake up to get a 10 inch pan worth?  and hints from people who ve had success with this cake wpuld be really helpful to me right now =)

Posted: 04 June 2013 03:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-05-15

Hey Julie , i think i ve posted on the curdling issue before.. it wasnt a small amount of negligible curdling it was literally curds and whey.. i tried sticking to light brown and using the freshest milk i could find. .. not sure if its been ultra pasteurized or not… i saw some pictures of the caramel others had made and theirs somwhow dint look as grainy as mine. so i kept cookign it and then blitzed it. i ended up getting somehting much thicker than the others though =/ 
i havent tried it in a 10 inch round.. i was hoping to try it in a 10 inch but was unsure as to how to scale it up ?

Posted: 04 June 2013 03:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-05-15

Hey freshkid , thanks so much.. im really bad with math so i wouldnt have figured that out =) So 20 percent more of everything except for leavening , am i right?

Posted: 04 June 2013 04:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-05-15

thank you!! But just to know.. why not increase the leavening?  =)