Need strawberry cake recipe quick!
Posted: 17 August 2008 02:02 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2007-11-17

I checked Rose’s cookbook and didn’t find a strawberry cake and my daughter requested one for tomorrow!  Yikes!  Does anyone have a good simple one that will well with chocolate icing (not my choice but what she requested). Thanks!

Posted: 17 August 2008 03:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-11-17

I found lots of cakes with berries in them or on them.  Do you know I could only find one strawberry cake recipe? And, I found it over and over and over and over!  Is there only one strawberry cake recipe on the entire web?  How frustrating!  And, it had strawberry jello in it and a cake mix!  Yuk!  How disgusting.  But, I am making it anyway.  It’s all I could find.  Maybe it will be fine.  I put lots of pureed strawberries in it and thought about leaving out the jello but I am under a time constraint and can’t take the risk of having to make another one if I play with this and it doesn’t come out edible.  I couldn’t talk my daughter into having something eles, so we’ll see.

Posted: 17 August 2008 04:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-11-17

Wow!  What a disaster. This is the heaviest cake I have ever seen!  I’m throwing it all out!  I will try to beg my daughter to reconsider.

Posted: 17 August 2008 06:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

My best suggestion would be to fill a butter cake (any flavor) with Strawberry Mousseline Buttercream.  Then frost the whole cake with your chocolate icing.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 17 August 2008 08:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

Sometimes kids (is your daughter still a “kid”?) need a little guidance in choosing cakes!  If she loves strawberries and chocolate, it works better to make the cake chocolate and the filling strawberry.  Strawberries are far too acidic and that messes up the chemistry of a cake- been there, done that, and mine, too, failed.  From what I’ve experienced and read on the web, those cakes are always too dense and compact.  I have even tried grinding freeze-dried strawberries for part of the flour (and tempering the batter with baking soda), but that, too was less than ideal. 

Any chocolate cake from TCB could be paired with strawberry cloud cream, or whipped cream and pieces of strawberry, or (like Patrincia suggests) strawberry mousseline.  Rose’s “Strawberry Maria” is one of my all-time favorites from TCB, it suites my tastes perfectly!

Good luck,
Julie

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe