Opinions, please, on ceramic pie pan
Posted: 06 June 2013 11:20 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2013-06-06

Right now, my pie pan is one that dates from World War II, and was my mother’s.  I am newly retired and have been getting excited by cooking now that I have the time.

I have fallen in love with this pie pan in dark red:

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/emile-henry-artisan-ruffled-pie-dish/?lineid=1&cm_src=E:pie-pans-tart-pans&catalogId=18

This is expensive, though, and though I can afford it, I do not want to make a mistake that others have made before me. 

The other pie pan I am considering is a high quality stainless steel that costs more than this one.  I know a lot of bakers like aluminum, but I cleared all the aluminum out of my house 30 years ago in hopes of avoiding the aluminum deposits in the brain that go along with Alzheimers, that mom, grandma, the other grandma, and my great grandma had.

I know there are those who will tell me to buy aluminum, but not using aluminum pans is easier than what Angelina Jolie did to prevent breast cancer, so I am not even willing to join a debate about aluminum.

So… if aluminum is not an option, would you buy the pan above, which my top choice, or would I better off with stainless 18/8,  in a reasonably heavy gauge.

Posted: 06 June 2013 11:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1352
Joined  2008-09-27

Stainless steel is a poor conductor and so makes lousy cooking vessels, in general. I presume that ceramic works fine, since Rose markets her own:

http://www.amazon.com/Beranbaums-Roses-Perfect-Recipe-Booklet/dp/B000LHRQK4

It’s cheaper than the one you’re contemplating.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 07 June 2013 12:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2013-06-06

Wow! Thank you! What a great deal on a pretty pan.

Earlier I read elsewhere on this site that 9” like Rose’s pan is a better size than 10 1/2 ” like the other.  I just signed up today for this site, so I did not know about Rose’s products, and I had missed that one in my searches of Amazon.

Posted: 07 June 2013 09:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4781
Joined  2008-04-16

I have two favorite pie pans, neither is metal.  I like the pyrex glass pans because you can check the underside of the pan to see how the bottom crust is browning- this will prevent surprises when you go to serve the pie.  The other pan I like is an off-white ceramic one, which I use for recipes I have made often enough to know what to do to get the bottom the right shade of brown.

I do own a metal (aluminum) pie pan, but the only thing I use it for is to freeze an unbaked pie that will go straight from freezer to oven.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe