flour weights ounces
Posted: 08 June 2013 07:08 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  56
Joined  2013-01-24

Hello all,

I just did something I’ve been meaning to do for ages.  That is compare different weights of flours.

I did not do this for grams though, foolishly, so I will have to go back and do it all over again.  I find it much easier to remember ounce numbers (because they are smaller…!)

Cake flour (UK - heat-treated, unbleached) dipped - 4.55 oz
Cake flour ( “)  spooned - 3.95 oz
Plain flour dipped - 5 oz
Plain flour spooned - 4.10 oz.

Long, long ago, during my earlier years in the UK, I learned from the Scottish WRI cookery book that a cup of flour = 4 oz, a cup of sugar = 6 oz, plus I already knew a cup of fat = 8 oz.  The context here was not converting US recipes but being on a small island off the west coast of Scotland all summer with no scales and, indeed, no measuring cups (I used mugs).

Though my figures above would seem to show this isn’t quite right, in fact for years and years I used these equivalencies and they worked fine.  So I think I might just go back to them for the purposes of switching US cup measurements in recipes, to weight, which is easier and more reliable.

Posted: 08 June 2013 01:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1333
Joined  2008-09-27
eag - 08 June 2013 10:08 AM

I did not do this for grams though, foolishly, so I will have to go back and do it all over again.

No, you won’t. An ounce weight is 28.35 grams.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 08 June 2013 01:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  56
Joined  2013-01-24

OK, many thanks.  Of course a second weighing would yield slightly different results anyway, it isn’t possible to fill a cup with exactly the same amount twice over is it - part of why one should really weigh.

I read somewhere that the reason Fanny Farmer came up with the cup measure, end of 19-beginning of 20c, is because home scales were hopelessly inaccurate.  In other words it was the more accurate alternative which gave more reliable results!  I guess now we are in the lucky position that we have amazingly accurate home scales, the like of which couldn’t be imagined in FF’s time.

When I’m feeling strong I shall do the arithmetic…. tongue laugh