doubling recipe for raisin bread
Posted: 10 June 2013 07:55 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2013-06-10

Has anyone doubled a bread recipe with success. I am specifically questioning if the cinnamon raisin bread recipe from the bread bible can be doubled. This was a wonderful recipe and I wanted to bake 4 loaves instead of 2 as the recipe states. New to this site but familiar with Rose’s books which are very technical but results from her recipes have been good. I have tried to research the book for the answer to this question but have been unable to find the answer. I know in the cake bible the pound cake recipe which is wonderful states do not double. Your help would be appreciated.

Posted: 10 June 2013 08:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4839
Joined  2008-04-16

Welcome!

That recipe should not be a problem to double, as long as you use more of the correct size loaf pans (rather than using larger pans).  You may notice some mild effects from an increased batch size during fermentation.  The larger batch size will be slower to change temperature and may generate a touch more warmth in its interior, both of which may slightly change the timing of rising.  But not a problem if you just check it a little more often to see if the timing needs to be tweaked.  The final shaped proof shouldn’t be affected because the dough will have been divided.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 10 June 2013 10:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-06-10

Thanks so much for that quick reply for raisin bread. I will try to do this and post my results. I am so happy to be part of this site as I have been using the cake, bread, pie bibles for a long time and have had good results. The vanilla pound cake is the best from the cake bible and this raisin cinnamon swirl bread was the best I have ever baked.

Posted: 10 June 2013 12:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  923
Joined  2009-05-25

I double bread recipes all the time.  Are you mixing by hand or in a machine?  By hand, it will be a large amount of dough to handle; otherwise, you’ll need a large mixer capacity.  Agreed, that timing may need adjustment, but often that is the case due to ambient temperature.  Also consider if you have enough room in your oven.  I find when baking 4 loaves I need to heat the oven to a higher temperature to account for the heat loss of adding all four pans to the oven, plus the cooling that takes place by having 4 vs. 2 loaves in the oven.  I’m still experimenting, but I’m going to start removing the stone after baking about 1/2 way through because if I place 4 loaves on the stone, I think the benefit is eventually lost (reason I’m investigating is the bottom crusts aren’t as dark and browned when I bake 4 loaves vs. 1 or 2). 

If for some reason you can’t fit all of the loaves in the oven, you will want to adjust proofing time for the ones you don’t bake first—place these in fridge.

Posted: 10 June 2013 09:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-06-10

thanks to Sherrie and Julie for their response to my question regarding doubling bread recipe. I did today the cinnamon raisin recipe from the bread bible and the results were great. A little difficult handling all that dough but they are light, fragrant and hopefully will taste good. Thanks again and I really like this site.

‹‹ I’m not doing it right......      milk ››