When to begin baking (for a party of 50)?
Posted: 14 June 2013 11:02 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2013-06-14

Hi, I’m new to this forum though I have been using Rose’s TCB and RHC (very faithfully too) for the past year. I do have a question, this coming Monday my husband will be bringing the still-to-be-baked-cakes to his office - office tradition, whoever has his/her birthday brings cakes, etc for the colleagues (yes, I am like a mad baking woman when it’s his birthday). He leaves home at 6:45am so my cakes have to be ready by Sunday evening/night. I am a little uncertain whether the cakes will be too dry by Monday. What are your thoughts or recommendations on when I ought to bake/storage?

The following recipes are what I will be baking:

Fat Cats Whoopie Pies
Deep Chocolate Rosebuds
Financier-Style Vanilla Bean Pound Cakes
Apple Cinnamon Crumb Coffee Cake
Blueberry-Cinnamon Crumb Coffee Cake
Carrot Cake (will make into mini muffins topped with the cream cheese frosting)
Downy Yellow Butter Cake (will make into mini muffins topped with coffee-flavored buttercream)

I have already baked and froze Lemon-Poppy Seed Pound Cake, Perfect Pound Cake and Chocolate Bread since I know these can be frozen and thawed without any issues (except for Lemon Poppy, I haven’t froze it before) and in case any of the above mentioned fails, they are my “back-up” cakes.

My question is, if I began baking a couple today, how do I store them? Do I need to put them in the fridge - if so, which cakes ought to be in the fridge or freezer? I reckon the cakes without any frosting or buttercream will be fine stored at room temperature airtight. I have also read that muffins topped with frosting/buttercream will not dry out as fast as without any topping (I will be using muffin paper cups/liners).

Appreciate any advise! Thank you!

Posted: 15 June 2013 01:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2013-06-14

Thank you, Julie. I noted the info about the mini cupcakes, that’s exactly the info I was looking for. Yes, this is the only time of the year I am kept busy with the baking which I absolutely enjoy! I do this each year with the same quantity of cakes, just this year I am aiming to make “miniature” cakes and I know that muffins ought to be eaten the same day they are baked, thus the query.

Thank you as well, CharlesT and Jeanne for your comments/insight/suggestions.

Have a great weekend