When to begin baking (for a party of 50)?
Posted: 14 June 2013 11:02 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2013-06-14

Hi, I’m new to this forum though I have been using Rose’s TCB and RHC (very faithfully too) for the past year. I do have a question, this coming Monday my husband will be bringing the still-to-be-baked-cakes to his office - office tradition, whoever has his/her birthday brings cakes, etc for the colleagues (yes, I am like a mad baking woman when it’s his birthday). He leaves home at 6:45am so my cakes have to be ready by Sunday evening/night. I am a little uncertain whether the cakes will be too dry by Monday. What are your thoughts or recommendations on when I ought to bake/storage?

The following recipes are what I will be baking:

Fat Cats Whoopie Pies
Deep Chocolate Rosebuds
Financier-Style Vanilla Bean Pound Cakes
Apple Cinnamon Crumb Coffee Cake
Blueberry-Cinnamon Crumb Coffee Cake
Carrot Cake (will make into mini muffins topped with the cream cheese frosting)
Downy Yellow Butter Cake (will make into mini muffins topped with coffee-flavored buttercream)

I have already baked and froze Lemon-Poppy Seed Pound Cake, Perfect Pound Cake and Chocolate Bread since I know these can be frozen and thawed without any issues (except for Lemon Poppy, I haven’t froze it before) and in case any of the above mentioned fails, they are my “back-up” cakes.

My question is, if I began baking a couple today, how do I store them? Do I need to put them in the fridge - if so, which cakes ought to be in the fridge or freezer? I reckon the cakes without any frosting or buttercream will be fine stored at room temperature airtight. I have also read that muffins topped with frosting/buttercream will not dry out as fast as without any topping (I will be using muffin paper cups/liners).

Appreciate any advise! Thank you!

Posted: 14 June 2013 07:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1376
Joined  2008-09-27

No advice for you, but I have to remark that this is an extraordinarily large menu for an office birthday. In almost 30 years of working in offices, I’ve never seen anyone bring that quantity of material. I find it hard to believe that this occurs 50 days out of the year; most people seem to get tired of more than one birthday event per month. I suspect that you’re doing far more than anyone else.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 14 June 2013 08:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2007-11-27

I agree with Charles, it’s a lot of stuff.  I fear that things may go to waste and not be enjoyed (people may take a few back to their desk and then not eat it, and then throw it out). 

There’s another alternative - maybe there is a homeless shelter in your area that has families or single parent (mom or dad) clients. If you want to share the love, let him bring some of the deliciousness to them,  the people there would be so thankful for home baked goodies.

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 14 June 2013 10:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4839
Joined  2008-04-16

Everything on your list can be frozen or refrigerated, the key is to wrap it air tight.  Plastic wrap is porous, so you need another layer of foil over the plastic wrap, and all those mini cupcakes need extra care to keep from drying out, even if they are frosted.  They have a lot of surface area and will dry out more quickly than larger cakes. Consider syruping the cakes that won’t get soggy, wrapping in plastic wrap then foil, and also wrapping cupcakes individually.

I agree it’s an ambitious plan, you’ll be quite busy! smile

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 15 June 2013 01:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2013-06-14

Thank you, Julie. I noted the info about the mini cupcakes, that’s exactly the info I was looking for. Yes, this is the only time of the year I am kept busy with the baking which I absolutely enjoy! I do this each year with the same quantity of cakes, just this year I am aiming to make “miniature” cakes and I know that muffins ought to be eaten the same day they are baked, thus the query.

Thank you as well, CharlesT and Jeanne for your comments/insight/suggestions.

Have a great weekend