Silk Meringue Buttercream
Posted: 21 August 2008 09:52 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  77
Joined  2008-08-19

I am thinking of trying the Silk Meringue Buttercream but I don’t see much written about it on the forum…is it comparable to mousseline, not as good, better???  I won’t be using it in the heat so I’m not concerned about temperature breakdown.  I’ve always made the Mousseline but figured why not try something different.  Anyone have a favorite variation?  Thanks!

Posted: 21 August 2008 11:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Gia, I have never made the Silk Meringue bc but I know Hector has posted a lot of info on the blog. Do a search on the blog and you’ll find the info you are looking for.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 21 August 2008 11:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Here’s a link from the forum on the topic:

http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/index_ee.php/forums/viewthread/305/

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 21 August 2008 08:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1421
Joined  2007-11-15

Glad you found my entry on SMBC.

I suggest you GO FOR IT.  If you are used to mousseline, silk meringue is its cousin.  The addition of creme anglaise makes this buttercream richer and tastier, closer to a buttercream made with egg yolks.

All of Rose’s SMBC variations are delicious (you can tell it is her favorite frosting by the number of variations she lists!!!).  My personal prefered ones are the caramel variation (caramel is a clean taste that intensifies the flavor of vanilla on creme anglaise), and recently I made a pistachio variation (by using pistachio creme anglaise).

Mousseline is a cleaner taste, almost tasteless, which goes well when you just want to flavor it with liquors or fruit conserves, so these delicate aromas don’t get lost.  Liquor flavor on SMBC gets lost.  Citrus flavors on SMBC are great (has to do that citrus balances the extra fat texture on SMBC).

If you heat the sugar syrup a degree or two higher, you will get EXCELLENT stability on SMBC, too.

BTW, frozen SMBC tastes and feels just like ice cream, often you will see me scooping SMBC onto my ice cream dish.

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 21 August 2008 11:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-08-19

Thanks Hector - this was exactly the info I was looking for!  And you’ve sold me - I plan to make the caramel version tomorrow!

Posted: 23 August 2008 09:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4797
Joined  2008-04-16

Gia,

I’m with Hector on this one, the Silk Meringue is my favorite.  The custard base lends a definite flavor to the buttercream that the others don’t have.  As Hector notes, it’s perfect if you don’t want to add liqueur (which I like to use with the Mousseline).  My favorite versions so far are the burnt orange (based on the caramel) and the apricot, both are sublime paired with Golden Genoise.  I also like to bring the caramel to a little deeper color/higher temperature than 360, just my preference. 

For me, SMBC seems to turn out denser/smoother if I make it a day ahead, bring it to room temp, then whisk by hand for a minute or so until it re-emulsifies. 

Let us know how it turns out!

Julie

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 23 August 2008 12:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-08-19

I love the SMBC!  I found it creamier than MBC, and it held up beautifully.  I made a double base recipe, and while it was delicious, I found some fresh blackberries at the local farmers market, and I’m going to make puree with them and try a blackberry version today.

Also, I made the caramel creme anglaise…but I haven’t finished the caramel buttercream yet because I think I may have overcooked the caramel…the finished creme anglaise came out creamy with a butterscotch color… but it really tastes like burnt sugar.  I am not experienced with caramel and I think I was expecting a more conventional caramel flavor (think caramel sauce).  Thoughts? Will the flavor become muted as I make the buttercream?  Because honestly it was too overwhelming for me in the creme anglaise state.

Posted: 23 August 2008 04:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4797
Joined  2008-04-16

Gia, I think the degree of caramelization should suit your personal taste.  I love a deeper caramel when it will be diluted in a buttercream or sauce, but not everyone does!  And it is definitely possible to overdo it and go too dark. 

If you can use a thermometer to find a temperature that suits your taste, then you’ll know for future recipes what to do. 

Feel like posting any pics?
Best,
Julie

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 23 August 2008 05:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

I tried a new variation of the caramel SMBC this week that was totally yummy! This is the season for it, too, at least here in British Columbia. I added a cup of peach puree that I had on hand. Went so well with the caramel. Used it for a cake filling with thin layers of almond sponge and chocolate glaze over all. But the buttercream retained plenty of stability, if you wanted to use it for frosting and decorating. Rose’s use of apricot puree in one of her SMBC variations gave me the idea.