cream cheese frosting
Posted: 16 June 2013 12:56 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2011-05-04

I make a regular cream cheese frosting for my carrot cake with cream cheese, butter and icing sugar, and have been wondering how long it can last at room temperature.  Jeannie had mentioned she uses that frosting as a filling for her fondant covered cakes.  So does that mean it wont spoil for a couple of days at room temperature?  Would that also hold true if I substituted mascarpone for the cream cheese?

I too have been thinking of using it as a filling in my fondant cakes….i prefer it to the white chocolate cream cheese frosting in the cake bible.

Posted: 16 June 2013 03:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  690
Joined  2012-01-12

Two days at room temp ? Why ? Maybe hours but not days or overnight. I’ve always refrigerated my fondant cakes and they come out fine. Not wet on the outside. What is the reason for it being at room temp for two days ?

Posted: 17 June 2013 08:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  605
Joined  2007-11-27

In the shop, I would keep cream cheese frosting at room temp overnight - usually we make it just before we use it, but I have also made it at the end of the day and hold it at cool room temp overnight before filling cakes or topping cupcakes with it.  If we make it at the end of the day, we are careful to cover the surface of the frosting with the plastic (cling) wrap otherwise it crusts and those dry bits are unpleasant.

I am not sure I would want to hold a cake filled with it at room temperature for more than a few hours.  Once we fill a cake, we refrigerate the cake (I use IMBC to cover the cake even if we use cream cheese as the filling if it is a fondant design, I’ve found that the fondant doesn’t really adhere well to the firm cream cheese frosting) until putting the fondant on, and have it out only when we are working on it; otherwise into the cooler it goes.

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 19 June 2013 12:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-05-04

Thanks for your replies, prettycake and Jeanne.

Prettycake, i live in a tropical area and am worried that if I refrigerate the fondant and then bring it back to room temperature ( which is around 80 degrees!!), the condensation along with the heat and humidity will make it too wet/shiny. The other thing is, quite a few cupcake shops sell cupcakes with cream cheese frosting that they say should not be refrigerated….they recommend room temperature to prevent the cupcakes from drying out.  So, I figured it must be possible/safe to do that as so many cupcake places do it. How do they do it?? Does anyone know?

Jeanne, is there something I could add to stabilize the cream cheese frosting to make it more stable at room temperature while I work on the fondant cake, or afterwards, because I am afraid of refrigerating the fondant covered cake.  How about Rose’s methods for stabilizing whipped cream like gelatin, or whipped-cream stabilzer such as cobasan/dr. oetker? I know adding some white chocolate can stabilize it, but it changes the classic flavor which I dont like. Any ideas??

Posted: 19 June 2013 12:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-05-04

Hey, Jeanne, whats IMBC? The mousseline buttercream? Thanks!

Posted: 19 June 2013 07:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1188
Joined  2009-11-24
Singbaker - 19 June 2013 03:28 PM

Hey, Jeanne, whats IMBC? The mousseline buttercream? Thanks!

Yes..

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 20 June 2013 07:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  605
Joined  2007-11-27

Usually people add some type of starch (cornstarch, powdered dessert topping mix, which is sort of like pudding mix but it’s for making a fake whipped cream topping) to stabilize buttercream for hot weather.  You could add some cornstarch to your sugar when you are making the frosting (there’s already a little bit of cornstarch in the confectioner’s sugar)

I’m not sure why the cupcake shops are keeping the cream cheese frosting unrefrigerated for 2 days; I don’t think I would do that, just on general principle, not because it’s unsafe, just because the idea makes me uncomfortable and I don’t *have* to do it.

For your situation - using it as a filling in a cake that’s going to be covered with fondant; do you have anywhere cool that the cake can be stored in (I’ve heard of people using portable wine cellar cabinets - the size of a small dishwasher - to store cakes in because their weather is like yours - hot, humid, sticky) in your home? - a small room with air conditioning that you can turn down?

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 20 June 2013 04:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  690
Joined  2012-01-12

I think what she meant by room temp is w/out a/c.  Unless the cupcake shop is one of those high end type. But in Asia, electricity is very expensive. If it was me , I won’t risk it.

Posted: 24 June 2013 03:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2013-04-02

Singbaker,

One of the many reasons why the cupcake shop’s icing may survive without refrigeration is because commercial icings like that tend to have a lot of additives.

Love_To_Bake