2 of 2
My brother’s wedding - Red Velvet Cake
Posted: 27 August 2008 09:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Hi Jodi - Let’s see… the best advice I can give you is to give yourself plenty of time and relax…. if you’re short on time of super stressed out you’ll just get more and more frazzled.  Checkout the wedding cake section on Rose’s blog:  http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/questions_and_answers/cake_questions/wedding/  There’s a lot of helpful info to be found there. 

Also, if you’re making any of Rose’s buttercream recipes to fill or cover the cake with, by all means make them now and follow her storage instructions in The Cake Bible (you’ll probably use more buttercream that you think… I always make an extra batch of BC - leftovers freeze well).  The cake layers can be baked now too, then wrap well (vacuum if possible), and frozen to keep them as fresh as possible - they thaw quickly and you can start assembling the cake while they’re still frozen.

Best of luck to you and don’t hesitate to ask all the questions you need to - lots of great people on here who can help you!!!

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 27 August 2008 09:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4789
Joined  2008-04-16

Patrincia,

Regarding the small size difference between layers, Martha Stewart shows quite a few cakes like this in her book, “Martha Stewart Wedding Cakes” (2007).  She also shows a few which are aligned vertically at the back, to make more room for decorations (but I think you may have done this once with one of yours, is that right?).  The book is full of great pics to inspire decorating, but in my opinion it wasn’t a baker’s book. 

She also has a red velvet cake in that book, but I haven’t tried the recipe and don’t know if it will please those used to Rose’s beautiful cakes!

Thanks again for sharing,
Julie

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 27 August 2008 12:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Hi Julie - Yes, I have that book - photos in it are wonderful!  The the red velvet recipe in it is more chocolatey looking than “red”.  I haven’t tried it so I don’t know how it tastes.  I don’t mind the small size difference between the tiers that much, especially when the cake is very tall (like 4 or more tiers tall).  Oh, yes, I stacked the sunflower cake like you mentioned - lined up vertically in the back - the bride and groom requested it that way (but I like the look of centered tiers more - I have a thing for symmetry smile ).

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 27 August 2008 01:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2007-11-17

Patrincia,
The cake turned out beautiful!
Great job,
Lori V.

Signature 

We should enjoy Today while it’s here because someday Today will be a Long Time Ago!
Pastries By Vreeke

Posted: 04 October 2008 07:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2007-12-25

Patrincia
you cake looks stunning!
I love red velvet! so glad you managed to get an image of the inside.
great job.
grin

Signature 

There is always room for chocolate dessert.

Posted: 04 October 2008 08:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Thank you Fascination, and welcome to the forum!  A family member has requested a red velvet cake for an upcoming party so I might be able to post a better slice photo in a week or two.  I love your avatar photo - Molto Bello!

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 05 October 2008 02:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-12-25
Patrincia - 04 October 2008 11:06 PM

Thank you Fascination, and welcome to the forum!  A family member has requested a red velvet cake for an upcoming party so I might be able to post a better slice photo in a week or two.  I love your avatar photo - Molto Bello!

Grazie Patrincia

Though I joined last December, I have just not had the time to log in & see what you are all about; Now that I have, I really like what I see.

I have only made a few red velvet cakes (it does not seem to be as popular here in the ‘Great White North’; Can’t wait to see your next one;
My avatar is actually a cake which I made for a cake show for our local cake club.
ciao ciao

Signature 

Posted: 05 October 2008 09:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

You have a cake club?  How cool!  I never heard of that!

Posted: 05 October 2008 01:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-12-25

yes… we have a cake club!
it is not uncommon!  if you google ‘cake club’  you will find many of them,  especially all over the US.
Ours is called the West Island Cake Club; we have 74 members & we meet once per month to discuss cake related topics, do a hands on project for everyone to take home, some times we do a show & tell so more members can participate, & we try to host a members’ workshop nearly every month. And different members get to bring baked goodies for our coffee breaks (think about it..  a room full of ladies who bake, trying to out do each other - Imagine how good our coffee breaks are!)
If you do not have one in your area maybe you should start one - you certainly seem to have enough skill to share!

Signature 

Posted: 08 October 2008 07:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  102
Joined  2008-04-28

Beautiful Patrincia! Sorry I’ve taken so long since your original post to say hello and well done.

Here’s hoping your brother’s wedded life is as sweet as the cake!
Cate

2 of 2