HELP! Transferring glazed cake to cardboard round
Posted: 21 June 2013 01:46 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2013-06-21

Hi.
I was asked to make a chocolate cake with Rose’s fabulous shiny Lacquer Glaze. I’ve done it once before and know I can do the baking end of things, BUT, since it was just for fun and I didn’t need to transport it, I didn’t really need to think about how to get it onto a platter or in a cake box or anything. The cake is not assembled yet, so I’m hoping to get advice before I put it all together. It’s a 9” layer cake. The cardboard circles I have actually have sort of a scalloped edge, so I can’t put it on that on before pouring the glaze because it will obviously be a huge mess. I don’t have any plain cardboard circles. Is there some trick to it? Would a parchment paper round under the cake on the wire rack help?  I’m sort of new to baking, so forgive my ignorance. This seems like such a stupid question, but I really need some advice…and fast.  smile

Thanks in advance!
David

Posted: 21 June 2013 03:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1363
Joined  2008-09-27

Not exactly sure what you’re asking, but if you’re trying to transfer a cake round, the best tool is a cake lifter, which is made for the task. Assuming you don’t have one, the removable bottom of a tart pan, cheese cake pan, or springform pan can work.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 21 June 2013 06:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4803
Joined  2008-04-16

Consider trimming one of your cardboard rounds to be as close to flush with the cake edge as possible, or cut cardboard to shape and cover with wax paper or foil.  Put the bare cake on it before glazing, then cement it onto the larger scalloped edge board with a little frosting or chilled glaze.  You can also use the bottom of a springform, loose bottom pan or tart pan if it is the right size.

If your cake is already glazed, do the best you can to transfer it with a bench scraper or cake lifter, plus a spatula for the other rim.  If you have RHC, take a look at the beginning of the wedding cake section and it will explain how to lift and stack tiers.  Consider piping a border along the lower edge to cover any imperfections.

Good luck, hope you’ll post a picture!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 21 June 2013 11:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-06-21

I have a springform pan. Will try the bottom of that.
Thank you. Thank you. Thank you!!
David

I’ll post a photo once it’s all together.

Posted: 22 June 2013 10:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-06-21

Well. Success!
Here’s the finished cake. First one looked a bit better, but still not bad for a 2nd try.
2 questions though.
1) it doesn’t seem quite as shiny as I thought it would, once it dried.
2) is it ok to keep out at room temp for the day? (around 72 degrees F)

Image Attachments
GlazeCake.jpg

Posted: 22 June 2013 12:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  920
Joined  2009-05-25

Hi David,

1)  If the glaze cools you can restore shine by gently heating it (I’ve used a hairdryer on low).
2) What is your filling for the cake (or did I miss it?)—the glaze should be fine at room temp for a day.

Posted: 22 June 2013 09:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-06-21

Thanks. I’ll try a hair dryer next time.
It was just a quick frosting (butter, conf. sugar, milk chocolate, vanilla and pulverized freeze-dried raspberries). Assuming that’s ok to be out for a day too.

Posted: 24 June 2013 06:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1186
Joined  2009-11-24

just me ....I would think with all that sugar and the glaze, out for a day or two should be fine.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.