cocoa butter instead of butter
Posted: 21 June 2013 02:31 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2011-05-04

Im trying to avoid dairy, and was wondering if I could use cocoa butter in place of butter in my brownie recipe.  Would that work?

Posted: 21 June 2013 02:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2013-06-21

dunno about cocoa butter but I’ve used coconut oil in place of butter in brownies and cakes and gotten pretty good results. I noticed in the fridge it stiffens up the product like butter (maybe a little firmer, but that could just be my fridge). I also noticed a bit of oil coming to the surface after sitting out. Other than that, all good.

But I guess that doesn’t really answer your question about the cocoa butter specifically. dairy intolerance unite!

Posted: 21 June 2013 03:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-05-04

Thanks Silverjade 10! Dairy intolerance unite!!

So, I got KAF’s recipe for gluten-free brownies.  It said put sugar, butter and salt in a pot and put it on the stove.  Somebody had recommended coconut oil in place of butter so I tried that.  Soon, I could smell the sugar turn into caramel.  Then it clumped up on me and was browned in places.  Maybe I heated it up too long….

I didnt have superfine sugar so i just used fine sugar.  Then i was supposed to put cocoa and vanilla and whisk.  So i put everything in the food processor to smooth it out.  im not sure about results.  Have to taste the brownies before i can tell.  ill update you later.

Posted: 21 June 2013 06:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4816
Joined  2008-04-16

Does sound like the sugar/coconut oil got too hot, it only needs to be warm enough to melt the solid fat.

The substitution should work reasonably well, as long as you account for the different fat content of butter and cocoa butter/coconut oil.  You will need a little less cocoa butter/coconut oil than butter as they are 100% fat, while the butter is only about 81% fat.  So if the recipe calls for something like 2 sticks of butter (227g), you would substitute that with 81% cocoa butter or coconut oil and 17% water, so 184g cocoa butter/coconut oil and 38g water.

Cocoa butter and coconut oil are both more highly saturated than butterfat, and have a sharper melting point, so it will make the brownies firmer and a little denser.  They may also have a fairly strong flavor compared to butter.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Three New Takes on a Classic Fall Dessert

Posted: 21 June 2013 09:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2013-06-21

oh thanks. hence the oil coming to the surface after I used it; I was doing a 1:1 substitution instead of 0.8:1. For stuff where I don’t want a strong coconut flavor, I use the cheap Luana brand from Walmart—my husband doesn’t appreciate super coconutty things the way I do, lol.

coconut oil also doesn’t ‘cream’ like butter does.

have you thought about using clarified butter singbaker? you take the milk solids out, so you’re just left with fat. I’ve not worked with it much though, so I can’t give any feedback.

Posted: 03 July 2013 02:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-05-04

Sorry Julie and silverjade10.  I was traveling and had no time to reply earlier. 

Julie, actually where I live coconut oil is not solid fat but is liquid…thats how hot it is here!! So when I put it on the stove with the sugar, I didnt know what I was waiting for.  I guess, i’ll just dip my finger in next time to ensure i dont let it go beyond warm. The brownies turned out nice but tasted pretty coconutty.  As far as I know only 1 sugar lump remained in the entire batch.  I appreciate your information on the fat and water content for the substitution.  I didnt even think of that! You said 81% cocoa butter and 17% water….did you mean 19% water?  What about the remaining 2%?

silverjade10, I havent tried clarified butter in baking but that is a good idea.  I might try it.  Do you think that would be a 1:1 substitution?

I was thinking, I could use avocado oil or almond oil as substitutes.  I recall hector substituted part of the butter in the oblivion torte with avocado puree and it worked well.  That might work in a dark chocolate brownie which can mask the avocado flavor.

Posted: 04 July 2013 02:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  695
Joined  2012-01-12

Are u lactose intolerant or something like that ? To me substituting sounds a lot more complicated than just using what is available. I hope you will find what u are looking for. Good luck on your journey.

Posted: 04 July 2013 04:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1369
Joined  2008-09-27
Singbaker - 03 July 2013 05:46 PM

You said 81% cocoa butter and 17% water….did you mean 19% water?  What about the remaining 2%?

Butter contains other stuff besides fat and water; that other stuff comprises the missing 2%.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 04 July 2013 04:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1369
Joined  2008-09-27
Singbaker - 03 July 2013 05:46 PM

silverjade10, I havent tried clarified butter in baking but that is a good idea.  I might try it.  Do you think that would be a 1:1 substitution?

You could purchase some Indian Ghee, which is clarified butter and perhaps clarified more perfectly than you can do on the stove.

But no, it wouldn’t be 1:1, since you’ve removed the water and other solids.

Don’t you have some sort of solid shortening (like Crisco) that you can buy to replace the butter? They actually have butter-flavored versions.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 05 July 2013 09:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  695
Joined  2012-01-12

Wow, or maybe let’s ask Paula Deen since she uses butter a lot. Someone on this planet should have the answer.