1 of 2
Hot and Humid 4th of July Wedding!!!! Help!!!
Posted: 21 June 2013 04:28 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2013-06-21

Hi,

My brother is getting married on the 4th of July this year. We are in south eastern KS and it is very hot and humid! The wedding is being held outside and I’m in charge of making a 5 tiered wedding cake. The bride wants diff. flavored tiers with fillings. I will be covering the entire cake in fondant and gumpaste roses.

My question is, what is the best frosting to use under the fondant to hold the whole thing together!? Also, I will be making the cakes ahead and refridgerating them. Should I bring them to room temp before frosting? I will frost and fondant the tiers ahead, and then assemble at the wedding site. Any tips would be very usefull!

Thanks!

Posted: 22 June 2013 03:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  687
Joined  2012-01-12

Your cake project sound like it’s gonna be a fun one.
As for the icing under the fondant (depending how hot the weather will be), I would say maybe royal icing. No whipped cream or Italian butter cream or that mousseline frosting.. Will there be a canopy over the cake or something that will provide shade ? Sometimes humid is OK as long as there is no heat wave. It is the very hot temp. that can kill a cake. Here in Sacramento, CA, our Summer temp. Is around 103-108, but we get a lot of breeze from the Delta. I always ice my cakes cold because to me cold cake is easier to handle esp when you are stacking layers. After I put the fondant, I loosely cover it in plastic wrap while it is in the fridge. I have done hundreds of wedding cakes and I know how you feel. The transporting is another thing to worry. I transport them in individual moving boxes (very sturdy) and line the bottom of each box w/ the non slip sheet (new ones) that you would use under a rug. I hope everything goes well. Oh don’t forget to use a lot of dowels.

Posted: 22 June 2013 08:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  603
Joined  2007-11-27

what are the cake flavors the couple is asking for? Do you know what sizes you are making?

Once, during a heatwave, I had a request for a fondant topsy-turvy cake as the wedding cake; it was a replica of a mountain that the couple used to run and bike on, and the groom proposed to the bride there so it was a very special place for them.  The challenge was that they were having the reception for 100 people at home, under a tent in their backyard - and they had no air conditioning in the house.  The caterer was not bringing a refrigerated truck and they had two home fridges but nothing large enough to store the cake until brought out to the tent for the cake cutting.  It sounds a lot like your situation - limited access to a/c and refrigeration and hot, humid weather.  Have you ever seen the video from Bronwen Weber (Frosted Art bakery in Texas) about what happens to a buttercream cake in the hot summer?  it might be on her website and it’s worth a look smile

Anyway.

So I suggested we do the cake in styrofoam with a real bottom tier for the ceremonial cake cutting.  Not everyone is open to this idea; there are some people who will tell you that you should never mix real cake with styrofoam.  If your cake is covered in fondant, and you use a parchment round between the styro and the real cake, there is nothing to worry about.  The styro lifts off and away from the cake, you peel off the parchment and serve the real cake.  You would have utility cake in the various flavors as back up, which the staff will appreciate because it means they can get the majority of the dessert cut and plated without worrying about the timeline running behind and the cake cutting delayed, which delays dessert service.

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 24 June 2013 03:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1186
Joined  2009-11-24
prettycake - 22 June 2013 06:28 PM

Your cake project sound like it’s gonna be a fun one.
As for the icing under the fondant (depending how hot the weather will be), I would say maybe royal icing. No whipped cream or Italian butter cream or that mousseline frosting.. Will there be a canopy over the cake or something that will provide shade ? Sometimes humid is OK as long as there is no heat wave. It is the very hot temp. that can kill a cake. Here in Sacramento, CA, our Summer temp. Is around 103-108, but we get a lot of breeze from the Delta. I always ice my cakes cold because to me cold cake is easier to handle esp when you are stacking layers. After I put the fondant, I loosely cover it in plastic wrap while it is in the fridge. I have done hundreds of wedding cakes and I know how you feel. The transporting is another thing to worry. I transport them in individual moving boxes (very sturdy) and line the bottom of each box w/ the non slip sheet (new ones) that you would use under a rug. I hope everything goes well. Oh don’t forget to use a lot of dowels.

Does Royal Icing not dry hard?  I did not know it could be used to cover an entire cake.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 24 June 2013 03:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  920
Joined  2009-05-25

Good for you for taking on such a fun project! 

I had a small disaster in my early years of cake baking.  I made a ganache glazed cake with fondant cut outs and refrigerated it uncovered—when I brought it out at the wedding (hot/humid conditions) the fondant decorations looked like they were melting on the cake (note the test cake I made held up perfectly—but this was in less humid conditions).  Thankfully it was a gift that tasted really good! Long story short—condensation could be a problem.  I don’t do alot of work with fondant because I don’t care for the taste—BUT for almost all cakes that will be brought out in humid conditions, I use a large plastic clear rubber maid container to store the cakes.  Sometimes I even put dishes of silica gel (used for drying out flowers) that are covered with an elastic and paper towel and taped to the bottom of the container to help keep the humidity low.  I bring out of fridge and slowly come to room temperature.  Only once the cake is mostly warmed up do I pull the top off. 

Tell us more about the conditions you will be working with.  Do you have an air conditioned area/refrigeration to work with on the site?  How long do you plan to have the cake on display?  Ideally, you don’t want the cake out longer than it needs to be.  Of the butter based buttercreams, the Italian Meringue (Mouselline) is the most stable but depending on conditions, it will only take you so far.  Otherwise you may be stuck with an icing sugar / shortening based frosting which don’t taste as good IMHO.  I’ve never heard of using Royal Icing to cover a cake that would be eaten—I, too, thought it dries hard. 

Post some more information and we can offer more specific help.

Posted: 24 June 2013 04:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  603
Joined  2007-11-27

Royal icing does dry hard; I’ve seen it on the outside of fruitcakes, over a cover of marzipan.

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 24 June 2013 05:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-12

If less sugar is added to Royal icing with some glycerin it is spreadable consistency just a very thin coating as glue. A lot of sugar is added if used to make flowers and for decorating purposes. In special occasions like weddings, looks is more important than taste as long as cake inside is delicious. But God forbid, someone will think of a naked wedding cake.
Royal icing is popular in Britain. That is what they sometimes use w/ royal wedding cakes. But just to make the fondant stick to the cake, you can also use fruit jam.

Posted: 26 June 2013 12:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-06-21

The conditions I will be facing are going to be nearly impossible! It is outside in their backyard, no A/C! It will be under a tent, possibly be able to hook up some fans if need be.  I am making a cake with 4 edible layers and a 5th styrofoam layer as the base. The top tier is going to be carrot cake w/sweetened cream cheese filling. The next layer is going to be a lemon zest cake with a lemon marmalade filling, then a tier of carrot cake for the guests to eat, and finally a tier of white cake with raspberry filling.

I did a cake tasting at the brides shower, and everyone was extremely pleased with the flavors. I used the Moussaline buttercream to frost the cakes with. It was very silky and rich!

I know it holds up well and was thinking that if I use just a thin layer to act as a glue I might be ok? I was planning on frosting and putting the fondant on the day before, on room temp. cakes and allowing to dry a little to help prevent sweating. Thought it might help the cake hold up a little better? IS that a good idea or no? I thought by doing this that it might help support the gumpaste roses that I’m putting around the base of each tier.

Now, I know Moussaline is “heavenly”, but I had some left over from frosting the cakes, and I had some of the extra cream cheese filling that I had made. I thought to myself, “What would happen if I combined these?” I couldn’t help myself and folded the moussaline into the filling! IT WAS AMAZING! It had the light fluffy texture of the buttercream, but the rich bite of the cream cheese! Probably wouldn’t hold up for any wedding cake, but for frosting a cake for the family to eat at home?! YEAH!

It too was heavenly, but I’m sure the calories are SINFULL!!!! wink

As I said before, ANY help or suggestions to make this wedding cake hold up would be very helpful! Also, It could be out there for a bit. The cake can be in air conditioning until about 30min. before the ceremony. The wedding is going to be late in the afternoon/early evening , followed by a 4th of July BBQ. I’m sure the Bride and Groom will cut the cake after their vows(I’d like photos of them dressed up when they do it), then it probably needs to hold up till after we eat?! May be able to take it inside after they cut it? What do you think? Will it hold up to that kind of torture?!

Thanks for all the help!

Posted: 26 June 2013 02:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-12

Well the heat is the main issue. My point is, even if it taste heavenly, you have to consider what you will be facing, so if heavenly taste does not go with the heat with the weather, then you have to settle for what will work. So forget heavenly. But if heavenly works well w/ heat, then you are in the perfect world. Good luck

Posted: 26 June 2013 03:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4803
Joined  2008-04-16

Baking’N'Kansas, could you give an estimate as to the air temp and how long the cake will need to be on display?

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 26 June 2013 05:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-06-21

This week it has been between 85 and 92 degrees. The wedding is suppose to be around 5pm-ish. Not sure yet what the weather is suppose to be like on the 4th, crossing fingers. It will probably have to be on display for 1.5hr to 2 hrs at least. If the bride and groom can be ushered to the cake table for photos in a timely manner and cut the cake, then I think it could be taken inside to the kitchen to be cut and served after the BBQ.

Posted: 26 June 2013 06:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  920
Joined  2009-05-25

The conditions I will be facing are going to be nearly impossible! It is outside in their backyard, no A/C! It will be under a tent, possibly be able to hook up some fans if need be.  I am making a cake with 4 edible layers and a 5th styrofoam layer as the base. The top tier is going to be carrot cake w/sweetened cream cheese filling. The next layer is going to be a lemon zest cake with a lemon marmalade filling, then a tier of carrot cake for the guests to eat, and finally a tier of white cake with raspberry filling.

I did a cake tasting at the brides shower, and everyone was extremely pleased with the flavors. I used the Moussaline buttercream to frost the cakes with. It was very silky and rich!

I think you should contact the bride/groom about your issue and present some options—if they are absolutely in love with what you had made for their shower cake then I think you can work around that—if they are willing.  I personally would opt for taste over presentation (within reason, of course) and consider reduced display time to manage this.  The fact you can store in A/C prior to display is a huge bonus!  Suggest some options (Mouselline = less display time; Icing Sugar = Longer Display)

I know it holds up well and was thinking that if I use just a thin layer to act as a glue I might be ok? I was planning on frosting and putting the fondant on the day before, on room temp. cakes and allowing to dry a little to help prevent sweating. Thought it might help the cake hold up a little better? IS that a good idea or no? I thought by doing this that it might help support the gumpaste roses that I’m putting around the base of each tier.

The big enemy is coming from cold to warm humid air.  If you opt to refrigerate—which may be helpful to keep ingredients ultra-fresh—then bring to room temp in a covered container until reasonably warm then you can work with them and they will be warmer before taking outside.

Now, I know Moussaline is “heavenly”, but I had some left over from frosting the cakes, and I had some of the extra cream cheese filling that I had made. I thought to myself, “What would happen if I combined these?” I couldn’t help myself and folded the moussaline into the filling! IT WAS AMAZING! It had the light fluffy texture of the buttercream, but the rich bite of the cream cheese! Probably wouldn’t hold up for any wedding cake, but for frosting a cake for the family to eat at home?! YEAH!

It too was heavenly, but I’m sure the calories are SINFULL!!!! wink

Cream cheese is notoriously soft—perhaps the Mouselline version you made is stiffer but I wouldn’t trust it at 90F.

As I said before, ANY help or suggestions to make this wedding cake hold up would be very helpful! Also, It could be out there for a bit. The cake can be in air conditioning until about 30min. before the ceremony. The wedding is going to be late in the afternoon/early evening , followed by a 4th of July BBQ. I’m sure the Bride and Groom will cut the cake after their vows(I’d like photos of them dressed up when they do it), then it probably needs to hold up till after we eat?! May be able to take it inside after they cut it? What do you think? Will it hold up to that kind of torture?!

See what they have planned ... perhaps it can be brought out later or brought inside right after cake cutting.  If they really like a specific cake they will make it work.  There are limitations to what you can do.  Perhaps you can bring it out when the reception starts (a rolling cart available for transport?)  have it on display for 1 hour (which if in shade and starting to cool down, you should be ok).  Cut the cake then take inside.  If they want it out all evening then you will have to opt for a more stable frosting (shortening/icing sugar) or go with jam to adhere the fondant.

Posted: 26 June 2013 07:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-06-21

Thank you for all the good advice! I hadn’t thought of using jam to adhere fondant! Two of the tiers that I’m making have fruit filling and putting jam on the outside would probably help a lot! I’ll have to find out for sure what the set up is going to be like.

Posted: 26 June 2013 07:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-06-21

and schedule of events!

Image Attachments
ROSE.jpg

Posted: 26 June 2013 08:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-12
Baking?N?KS - 26 June 2013 10:20 PM

Thank you for all the good advice! I hadn’t thought of using jam to adhere fondant! Two of the tiers that I’m making have fruit filling and putting jam on the outside would probably help a lot! I’ll have to find out for sure what the set up is going to be like.

Jam is what I suggested in my 2nd response, but that’s OK if you missed it.

Posted: 26 June 2013 10:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-06-21
prettycake - 26 June 2013 11:32 PM
Baking?N?KS - 26 June 2013 10:20 PM

Jam is what I suggested in my 2nd response, but that’s OK if you missed it.

I appologize. I must have overlooked it. This is my first wedding cake and it’s got me a bit frazzled! I do appreciate the help though. Thank you!

1 of 2