Non-wheat flours in Rose’s cakes
Posted: 27 August 2008 03:43 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2008-08-27

Hi everyone,

My daughter Ruth is allergic to wheat (as well as nuts, peanuts, sesame, and soy), so I have been experimenting with substituting other flours for the cake flour in Rose’s cakes. If anyone has any experience with non-wheat cakes, I would love to hear about it.

Right now, I am trying a half-and-half mixture of oat flour and barley flour. I use an amount of that equal to the amount of cake flour in the recipe.

The “Perfect All-American Chocolate Butter Cake” (Cake Bible, 54-55) comes out very well with this substitution. The texture is excellent, the top is perfectly level. It has a slight oaty flavor, mostly masked by the chocolate.

The “Perfect Pound Cake” (Cake Bible, 25-27) does not come out quite as well. It has a distinct oat-barley flavor, which is good, but not what one expects in a cake.

I have tried recipes from various allergen-free baking books, but most of these also avoid milk, eggs, butter, and all of the things which make a cake good. I’d like to stick as close to Rose’s recipes as I can. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jonathan

Posted: 27 August 2008 03:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1421
Joined  2007-11-15

I would try making the sponge cakes, they can be done with 100% non-wheat flour, like corn starch, potato starch, etc

Biscuit, Genoise, Chiffon, and Angel Food.

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 27 August 2008 03:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

Yes, I completely agree with Hector.

Posted: 27 August 2008 05:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-08-27

Thanks Hector, Matthew. What kind of conversion factor would I use for substituting cornstarch for flour?

For example, the Genoise Classique (p.120) uses 1/2 C flour and 1/2 C - 1 Tbsp cornstarch. If I were just using cornstarch, is that a 1 to 1 substitution, for a total of 1 C - 1 Tbsp cornstarch? Does anything else need to be adjusted?

Posted: 27 August 2008 05:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  324
Joined  2008-03-19

If you look near the table of contents in the “Cake Bible,” you will find a list of cakes that are kosher for Passover. Those should fit your criteria. Good luck!

Posted: 27 August 2008 10:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Have you tried epicurious.com? Their recipes are usually very good. Here’s a link for a rice flour mix recipe:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/BROWN-RICE-FLOUR-MIX-232990

Here’s what one review says “Wanted a wheat-free flour recipe for baked goods for a celiac client. I have used this for muffins, cakes, cookies…with great success! Perfect 1-1 replacement for wheat flour.”

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 27 August 2008 11:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-08-27

Christine S., thanks for the suggestion. I see some chocolate rolls there, with no flour at all. I will try them.

Rozanne, thanks for that link. I have used Epicurious before, but I had not come across that rice flour mix. It looks useful, and I think I have the ingredients already. It’s certainly worth a try.

Posted: 28 August 2008 10:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4795
Joined  2008-04-16

I was going to echo the others’ comments - by all means try the genoise and biscuit cakes, they can be used with various types of flour.  You can make your own rice flour by grinding rice as you need it.  I think it doesn’t keep very long once ground into flour, so the commercially available products may be either hard to find or of questionable quality. 

You might also try tapioca (cassava) flour, which I have found in health food stores. 

Good luck!
Julie

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 28 August 2008 09:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  324
Joined  2008-03-19

Hi Jonathan,

Regarding the chocolate rolls, the cake part can be made into any shape you want. At Thanksgiving, I made a double recipe of flourless chocolate cake, baked in a jelly roll pan (recipe on p. 138 of “Cake Bible”). I cut each cake into long rectangles, stacked and filled the layers with chocolate ganache, and frosted it with more ganache. It is so chocolately, nobody even noticed that the flour was missing. I have also made this recipe for Passover. I always get rave reviews.

Another book you should check out is Bruce Healy’s “The French Cookie Book.”  It is a treasure trove for those who have to avoid flour, but want gourmet, authentic French recipes. Not all of the recipes are flourless, but many of them are. If you want to try your hand at “macarons” (a traditional meringue-based cookie), this is the place to start. The Almond Souffles on p. 86 are excellent, and make a nice presentation, although they are a bit time-consuming to prepare.