Yup, I use Rumford, because it’s aluminum-free (and I have some qualms about ingesting aluminum). I usually premix the dry ingredients the night before and make the scones the first thing in the morning, but I have some early morning plans next weekend and would like to be able to just stick the scones in the oven as soon as I wake up.
But anyhow, now that we are on the subject of baking powder, I looked on the Clabber website.
Rumford is very fast-acting, because 70% of the reaction is with the liquid ingredients and the other 30% is when heat is applied (>140 deg F). 2/3 of the gas is released within 2 minutes of mixing with liquids.
Clabber, however, is 40% of the reaction with moisture, and 60% with heat. (But it does have aluminum.)
I actually have both powders at home, but mainly use Rumford. However, I’m wondering if people here have a preference or know which one would be better for the scone recipe. A lot of chefs like aluminum-free baking powder, because baking powder WITH aluminum can sometimes leave a metallic taste. However, it seems that a slower-acting baking powder such as Clabber would be better for the scone, since it makes sense to have the majority of the leavening to occur during baking instead during the preparation of the dough with all those turns and rolling-outs that will surely squeeze the gas out of the dough. For things like cake batters which are quickly and lightly mixed and then baked, the quick acting powder like Rumford makes more sense.
I will be willing to use Clabber maybe just this once if it means I can make the dough the night before and just bake it in the morning. I have used it a few times before and haven’t tasted anything metallic yet. Just wondering if anyone has tried prepping the scones the night before and then baking the next morning.