Spammers, when are you gonna get rid of them ?
Posted: 23 June 2013 07:43 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  718
Joined  2012-01-12

there are posts here not related to cooking. Any plans on cleaning up the forum ? Really annoying.

Posted: 23 June 2013 07:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1376
Joined  2008-09-27
prettycake - 23 June 2013 10:43 PM

there are posts here not related to cooking. Any plans on cleaning up the forum ? Really annoying.

I’ve emailed Rose a couple of times on the issue; she says she’s in the middle of moving and can’t do anything right now.

Overall, this is a problem that should be addressed by whoever administers the site; the account creation process can’t seem to weed out real people from robots that register. This can be fixed.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 23 June 2013 08:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4839
Joined  2008-04-16

Charles, I am deleting these whenever I log on, but as a volunteer my spam weeding duties take a backseat to family and work demands.  There has been a sudden upsurge lately in spam activity, I’ll try to get to it more quickly.  But if you know a way to weed out the spammers from creating accounts, I think many of us would be grateful if you’d communicate with Travis Smith, who administers this forum.  You can PM him smile

I’m also the only moderator who is active right now, I’m in the process of finding out whether this is temporary or not so I can make requests to Travis accordingly.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 23 June 2013 09:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1376
Joined  2008-09-27

Hi Julie:

I wasn’t referring to you, or Anne, or any of the volunteers when I said “site administrator”; I meant the people who actually get paid to maintain this site. This spam has been an ongoing problem for a long time and I haven’t seen any efforts to prevent it from happening. As I recall, the registration procedure uses a CAPTCHA method to verify real users, but it’s well known this is pretty easily defeated. There are a variety of other techniques to detect the spammers and any professional site administrator should be familiar with them. There are often modules that can be downloaded and installed in popular forum software that will do the job.

Ideally, a site administrator is a programmer and can write custom solutions to problems. For instance, I could stop these spammers by identifying posts with multiple links and disabling the accounts if they hadn’t been around for a while.

Please note I am not volunteering. grin This site is written in PHP and that isn’t my area of expertise. I could get it done, but it would be painful. A PHP programmer would find that easy to do. I could probably come up with dozens of ideas, but I really think the site admins already have a lot of tools they could implement. Unless they’re site designers, and not administrators by trade.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 24 June 2013 10:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  96
Joined  2007-11-05

just to let you all know that travis is on the case and is updating the forums to minimize future spam. woody and i will also keep our eyes out now that we are aware of the problem. as you all know by now (i hope) i’m in the midst of a major move of 38 years of possessions plus construction of a new kitchen so no where to put any of the kitchen things. i will be less available on the blog than usual though i have posted several things ahead. also woody and i discuss all questions and he will answer them. thanks for all your patience and support. i love this blog and forums and will not be neglectful.

thanks,
rose

Posted: 24 June 2013 03:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1214
Joined  2009-11-24
Rose Levy Beranbaum - 24 June 2013 01:27 PM

just to let you all know that travis is on the case and is updating the forums to minimize future spam. woody and i will also keep our eyes out now that we are aware of the problem. as you all know by now (i hope) i’m in the midst of a major move of 38 years of possessions plus construction of a new kitchen so no where to put any of the kitchen things. i will be less available on the blog than usual though i have posted several things ahead. also woody and i discuss all questions and he will answer them. thanks for all your patience and support. i love this blog and forums and will not be neglectful.

thanks,
rose

Wow Rose that is a lot going on.  You should have some interesting posts about the things you come across when unpacking fromt that many years.  We just moved my mother and the photos stored away brought lots of things to memory…..  We love the forum also…  I cannot imagine what I would do without it.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.