Sticky Buns & Flexipan Jumbo Muffin
Posted: 23 June 2013 09:34 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  35
Joined  2012-03-07

I am having some success with Rose’s Sticky Bun recipe.  I am using a silicone pan from Amazon, Flexipan Jumbo Muffin 7.44 Oz, (3-1/16” Dia x 2” Deep), 15 Cavities
by Demarle:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00175YQFW/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You may see high resolution pictures of my success here:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/jamzbond/  (Scroll Down)  -Just click on one of the pictures.  Then right-click and choose a higher resolution if you like. 

I am using Rose’s recipe increased by 50% like Rose recommends.  Lately I have been having trouble, the dough turns out much too moist.  So today I increased the flour by 16 grams, about 1/8 cup.  This turned out better, but I am starting to believe the trouble is that the butter is more watery in these warmer months.  So I will try Land of Lakes butter next week. 

I double the caramel recipe because that is the way my family likes it.

The large Flexipan is nearly as wide as my standard size oven.  I set the Flexipan on an insulated cookie sheet and about 1 inch sticks out on each side of the cookie sheet.  The sides next to the oven wall get done first as you can see by the pictures, some sides are more done.  I try to compensate by making the buns in the center cavaties slightly smaller because they do not get up to 180 degrees nearly as quickly as the ones near the oven wall.  Even then, the ones near the wall get up to nearly 200 before the center ones get up to 180 degrees. 

I tried placing a second cookie sheet on top of the Flexipan and Sticky Buns when done, -and turning them over, but it is such a mess when just out of the oven because the caramel runs.  Now I allow them to cool for about 10 minutes with the flexipan on top of a wire rack, then I carefully fish each sticky bun out with a fork in each hand, and onto plates. 

I have been making one batch a week for over a year now and I still cannot roll the dough with 90 degree corners!  But I am getting slowly better. 

I will be a happy man when I solve the runny dough problem.  Last winter, the dough was perfect.

Posted: 23 June 2013 10:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1333
Joined  2008-09-27
StephenRay - 24 June 2013 12:34 AM

15 Cavities
by Demarle:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00175YQFW/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Uh, you paid $115 for a baking pan?

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 23 June 2013 10:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-03-07

Charles T.
Yes I did.  It doesn’t stick.  These silicone pans work better than advertised.  Baked goods just fall out of them.  Even Sticky buns with caramel on the bottom will fall out if you turn the whole flexipan over.  I will never bake a muffin or dinner roll or sticky bun in a metal pan again.  I also have various size silicone pans for dinner rolls, Madelines, and Financiers.  And the cleanup is effortless too.  For clean up, just swish a cotton wash cloth with water over it and it is ready again.  My family really likes these baked goods and these silicone pans save a lot of time and effort.  Not to mention there is no greasing the pans or spraying Baker’s Joy on the pans either, so there is no dark residue that you must scratch off with brillo.

Posted: 24 June 2013 09:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4746
Joined  2008-04-16

I’ve noticed that my bread doughs are wetter in the humid months and firmer in the drier winter months.  I attribute it to the flour absorbing more humidity from the environment.  Just pull back a little on the water this time of year.  smile

re: rolling rectangles, I sometimes find it helpful to straighten the edges with a bench scraper or similar flat edge between passes with the pin.  Mostly I do this for laminated dough, but it makes sense here, too as the rolled spiral of buns tends to be smaller diameter at the ends and thicker in the middle.  Also, if you’re not already rolling into corners as well as towards the straight edges, that can help, too.

Took care of your duplicate post smile

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 24 June 2013 11:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-03-07

Thanks Julie, you are probably right about the humidity because it seems that the Brioche dough started getting too moist around spring time when the furnace stopped running.  I make a sponge with a some water,egg, sugar and yeast.  It is very soupy.  I let it rise, then refrigerate it overnight.  Then the next morning, I mix in everything else.  I suppose I could make the sponge with less water or make it straight through.  It is amazing that the humidity could make such a big difference.  The dough was so wet I was sure I measured incorrectly the first few times. It was way beyond sticky that rose writes about in her Brioche recipe.  I thought I wasn’t paying attention and measuring the flour incorrectly. 

And thanks for the tips about rolling the dough.  Practice makes perfect.

Posted: 24 June 2013 08:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

I’ve noticed a pretty marked difference in just my lean doughs, I imagine sweet doughs might be affected even more strongly because sugar is so hygyroscopic, i.e., both the flour and sugar will be more moist in humid conditions.

Signature 

Posted: 28 June 2013 01:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-03-07

I changed pictures, a closeup is better.

Posted: 09 July 2013 09:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-03-07

Remedy for Brioche dough that is too moist and runny:  I have been making Sticky Buns straight - through, no dough-starter.  Rose’s recipe calls for water to make the dough starter, this was perfect last winter but seems to be much too wet for these spring and summer months.  I am amazed that humidity caught in the flour can make such a big difference. 

Of course, I add all the ingredients from the dough-starter into the complete recipe, - except the water.  This seems to be the remedy, Thanks Julie!

Posted: 09 July 2013 10:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

So glad you found a fix!  smile

Signature