Coconut sugar
Posted: 24 June 2013 02:45 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  144
Joined  2010-05-24

With the health food craze, coconut sugar has now appeared in grocery stores. I saw it in Costco today. I’m intrigued, and not because I’m looking for a “healthier” sugar. Has anyone tried baking with this sugar, and what kind of applications would coconut sugar work well in?

I wonder how it would do as a replacement for brown sugar in chocolate chip cookies or used in a some kind of coconut cake (of course!) or perhaps in a caramel. I like using turbinado sugar for making caramel, because it has a more complex flavor.

Posted: 24 June 2013 09:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

I haven’t tried it, but it sounds interesting.  Would also love to hear from anyone who has smile

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 28 June 2013 04:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1420
Joined  2007-11-15

i see NOTHING wrong with sugar except how big of a cake slice people eat!  The healthiest and most natural way to lower the glycemic index is to eat less and eat slow.  i used to work for a sugar free bakery and noone eating these cakes was skinny!  Sugar isn’t the problem, the problem is exercise and serving size.

Most sugar free customers ate the whole cake or pie in a day or two.

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 28 June 2013 04:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1420
Joined  2007-11-15

http://authoritynutrition.com/coconut-sugar/

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 29 June 2013 05:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  144
Joined  2010-05-24

Yes, I think this whole notion of a “healthier” sugar is really nonsense. (Except for high fructose corn syrup which is definitely a worse or the worst sugar.) I’m not interested in the nutritional aspects of coconut sugar, but I think there may be exciting culinary possibilities. Sadly, the health craze will likely make coconut sugar very expensive. Well, it already is quite expensive.

Posted: 09 September 2013 02:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2013-09-09

I use coconut sugar both for baking and sometimes put it in my tea or coffee. Of course it won’t help you to lose weight or anything as it has almost the same number of calories but it’s more healthy, high in different microelements (here’s some coconut sugar health benefits information) and I also like the taste more though some people say that it tastes just the same as regular sugar.

Posted: 13 October 2013 05:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2013-10-13

Coconut sugar, more accurately coconut palm sugar, is made from sap of the coconut palm that has been extracted and then boiled and dehydrated

Signature 

GratianHarris