Bread Mixing Machines for Rye Sourdough
Posted: 02 September 2008 10:00 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2007-11-16

I have the Zojirushi Bread Machine. I use it to mix dough but not to bake. I am delighted with its performance for regular bread.

However, a sourdough rye seems to be a different “kettle of fish”. The dough sticks to the side of the pan (even though it is non-stick) and is not picked up by the paddles and there is also a layer of dough that sticks to the bottom of the pan which is also missed by the paddles. So the dough doesn’t get kneaded properly.

Does anyone else have the same problem and if so, how do they solve it.

Would the Electrolux Magic Mill do a better job?

Posted: 02 September 2008 09:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

Hi Regant,

Welcome to the forums!  I do not use a bread machine but do make a lot of rye bread.  The higher percentage of rye flour in a recipe, the less elasticity it has.  Rye flour has very little gluten so you will never get the nice elastic dough you get with wheat.  You can still knead it using a machine (it needs less kneading) but you will need to stop the machine a couple of times and scrape the dough down and turn it over with a WET spatula or scraper.  Do not use extra flour.  Also, wet your hands and counter-top when you are working with it and you will find it quite easy. If baking in a bread pan be sure to grease and flour it well - you may use rye flour here.  Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Annie

Posted: 04 September 2008 09:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-11-16

Annie,

Thanks for your help with my Rye Sourdough.

I?ve been making bread for a long time now and knew of the stickiness involved with Rye flour but thought the non-stick surface of the bread machine would alleviate the problem. Unfortunately that wasn?t the case.

I?ve just recently started taking an interest in using a sourdough as my only leavening and wondered if that might have contributed to the sticking. Yesterday I made Rose?s ?Real Jewish Rye Bread? (which I have made many times in the past) with the addition of 90 grams of old sourdough. My bread machine handled it beautifully - so out of the window with my theory that it might be the sourdough causing the sticking.

This leaves me with your explanation that the more rye flour, the more stickiness. Rose?s rye bread contained 20% rye - the one I had trouble with contained 45% rye.

Next time I make this bread and others that are fairly heavy with rye, I?m going to follow your instructions and stop the machine a couple of times and scrape it down with a wet spatula.

Thanks again Annie - I?ll let you know how I get on.

Hazel

Posted: 04 September 2008 10:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

Hazel,  I’m afraid I can’t tell you if the sourdough starter is a contributing factor to stickiness as I only make sourdough rye.  Mine is 70% rye so very sticky.  I just use a plastic scraper, and keep everything including my hands very wet.  Then I make a ‘brick’ shape of the dough and drop it into the pan.  See pics.  I’m sure yours is perfect - the 20% is quite a low proportion of rye so you won’t have the sticky problem with Roses’ recipe.  Looking forward to hearing your results.
Annie

Image Attachments
Rye1.JPGRye2.JPG

Posted: 11 September 2008 09:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-11-16

Annie,

Well, I tried your advice and kept everything wet - it helped. But to be truthful, I didn’t enjoy making the bread in the machine or transferring it from machine to bowl after kneading.

I’ve come to the conclusion that it would be easier to knead by hand, keeping hand and counter top wet. I shall try that next time.

By the way, when my husband saw where you lived, he was quite envious - its a lovely area and you’re lucky to live there.

Hazel