beginner baker :) any advice or tips would be nice please and thank you :)
Posted: 25 June 2013 01:46 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2013-06-25

hi my name is cheslie and im just now getting into baking and im really enjoying it im doing all of it from my home im not able to go to school for it but one day i would really like to have my own baking shop. i do have a lot of questions that pop up, anyone opinions, answers, and/or tips are welcomed.
questions:
what does the yolk of the egg do to a cookie recipe or any other, because some recipes ask for dif. amount of eggs and egg yolks?

how if it can be done to marbleize cookies?

what is a good substitute for corn starch?

Posted: 25 June 2013 03:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  575
Joined  2007-11-18
makingityourown - 25 June 2013 04:46 PM

hi my name is cheslie and im just now getting into baking and im really enjoying it im doing all of it from my home im not able to go to school for it but one day i would really like to have my own baking shop. i do have a lot of questions that pop up, anyone opinions, answers, and/or tips are welcomed.
questions:
what does the yolk of the egg do to a cookie recipe or any other, because some recipes ask for dif. amount of eggs and egg yolks?

MAKINGITYOUROWN:
  Good afternoon. Welcome to our baking forum. I think you came to the right place to begin your culinary career.

First off let me mention to you the best way to get acquintated with baking ingredients & their role.
I would try in reading a book or two on baking science. One edition is called .....“BAKEWISE”
by SHIRLEY CORRIHER. You can try to secure that volume in a used book store.

Our sponsor Miss Rose has a book out you can read up on baking ingredients that will educate you on baking science only too well. Also can be found in the same used book shoppe…..“THE CAKE BIBLE” by ROSE LEVY BERANBAUM.

Just to answer your question about Substitution of cornstarch. Arrowroot can thicken pies as well as clear jel & instant clear jel.
Flour & tapioca will thicken pies & many other dessert recipes.

EGG YOLKS have many duties in a recipe. Just to touch on one or two, Yolks coagulate the cheese in a chesse cake….or other custards.

They act as emulsifier’s in a sauce concoction.They act as tenderizes in a cake recipe.  Much, much more. You can read all of this in the two books I mentioned to you.

Good luck to you CHESLIE & enjoy the rest of the day.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 25 June 2013 03:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-06-25

ok great thank you so much for your info i definitely will look into those two books a couple a sites have been talking about baking science and i wasn’t sure what they ment so thank you for your help smile

Posted: 25 June 2013 09:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  606
Joined  2012-01-12

I have been baking for 38 years, and my opinion would be, unless it is for health reasons never use substitutes. IMHO and experience, food taste best prepared w/ real good ingredients. Do not sacrifice taste for other things. It’s either bake w/ real ingredients or don’t bake at all. I never used any substitute in all the years I have baked. And never get discouraged if what you made came out a flop. Keep trying until you have mastered it. That’s how I am. The bigger the challenge the more I do it no matter how long it takes. And don’t cut corners. Good luck. Let us know how things come out. Nice to have u here.

Posted: 26 June 2013 10:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4741
Joined  2008-04-16
makingityourown - 25 June 2013 04:46 PM

Eggs are often emulsifiers that also provide a little structure, except in meringues and sponge cakes where they whip into foams that are the main source of structure in a recipe.  Yolks emulsify, provide richness and flavor, and tenderize/moisturize, while whites will also emulsify but do not give a rich flavor and tend to dry out a recipe unless balanced with other ingredients (sugar, butter, etc.).  A recipe with all yolks will generally be richer, denser and more flavorful, while one with all whites will generally be lighter in both texture and flavor.  Whites will whip up into the largest volume foam, which can be useful in some recipes, either where the lightest possible texture is the goal, or when trying to lift heavy ingredients like chocolate. 

Make two separate doughs (or add melted chocolate to half a batch of dough), then roll them separately into flat rectangles. Place one rectangle on top of the other and roll up into a long spiraled roll.  Refrigerate until firm, then slice and bake.

Depends on the recipe.  As others have mentioned, flour, cassava, arrowroot, etc.  Be careful with amounts, as these do not all thicken at the same rate.  Flour will produce a more grainy texture than cornstarch and cassava will produce a more shiny, stringy texture.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 26 June 2013 09:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-06-25

everyone thank you for all your advice i made my first homemade chocolate chip cookies and everyone loved them. i plan on making alot more goodies and making my own recipes is what i really want smile

Posted: 26 June 2013 09:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-06-25

my next recipe that im making is my mamaws old fashioned fudge but i want to add some caramelized apples to half of it. do you think it can be done if so how do you think i should do it or will it ruin the fudge

Posted: 26 June 2013 11:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  880
Joined  2009-05-25

I would strongly suggest purchasing a scale and thermometer.  I consider the scale the most beneficial piece of baking equipment I own.  I refuse to buy baking books that do not list ingredients by weight—with the exception of small (tsp. etc. ) quantities.  If you plan to bake cakes/bread, a scale is an invaluable tool.  Rose has an article http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/2005/10/weigh_to_bake.html that summarizes the benefits (I won’t go into it here as it’s already been done!).  I will add—the scale also saves you from doing dishes and clean up!

The thermometer is a close second—if you intend to make sugar syrups it is a must have, but it useful in many other situations—checking on temperature of butter, baked goods, custards, etc.

I’m not sure exactly what you mean by marbelize cookies, but if the batters bake up much the same I would drop different chunks of batter into a bowl and stir just until “marbeled.”  Probably requires similar dough types—I’ve made marble bread before and that’s the primary consideration. 

Happy baking and welcome!

Posted: 30 June 2013 09:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2013-06-01

Hi!! 

I would recommend checking your oven… buy an oven thermometer, set it to a temp on your dial and check that the oven heats to what you set it too.  Baking can go very wrong if your oven isn’t correct.  Also if you have a FAN oven you should reduce the temp by 10%

Butter and sugar mix perfectly when at room temp…and eggs should also be at room temp otherwise you may get a curdle.  Adding a spoonful of the flour can ‘save’ this.

Read all the recipe first before you start… prep as much as you can before you start… 

PREHEAT the oven….very important.

Hope that helps grin

Thanks
James
http://www.andstirwell.com

Signature 

http://www.andstirwell.com

Foodie blog

Posted: 01 July 2013 09:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1148
Joined  2009-11-24

Keep hanging out here, trust the advice offered, search the forum on different topics.  I have learned much from just reading thorugh old threads

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.