beginner baker :) any advice or tips would be nice please and thank you :)
Posted: 25 June 2013 01:46 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2013-06-25

hi my name is cheslie and im just now getting into baking and im really enjoying it im doing all of it from my home im not able to go to school for it but one day i would really like to have my own baking shop. i do have a lot of questions that pop up, anyone opinions, answers, and/or tips are welcomed.
questions:
what does the yolk of the egg do to a cookie recipe or any other, because some recipes ask for dif. amount of eggs and egg yolks?

how if it can be done to marbleize cookies?

what is a good substitute for corn starch?

Posted: 25 June 2013 03:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-06-25

ok great thank you so much for your info i definitely will look into those two books a couple a sites have been talking about baking science and i wasn’t sure what they ment so thank you for your help smile

Posted: 26 June 2013 09:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-06-25

everyone thank you for all your advice i made my first homemade chocolate chip cookies and everyone loved them. i plan on making alot more goodies and making my own recipes is what i really want smile

Posted: 26 June 2013 09:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-06-25

my next recipe that im making is my mamaws old fashioned fudge but i want to add some caramelized apples to half of it. do you think it can be done if so how do you think i should do it or will it ruin the fudge

Posted: 30 June 2013 09:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2013-06-01

Hi!! 

I would recommend checking your oven… buy an oven thermometer, set it to a temp on your dial and check that the oven heats to what you set it too.  Baking can go very wrong if your oven isn’t correct.  Also if you have a FAN oven you should reduce the temp by 10%

Butter and sugar mix perfectly when at room temp…and eggs should also be at room temp otherwise you may get a curdle.  Adding a spoonful of the flour can ‘save’ this.

Read all the recipe first before you start… prep as much as you can before you start… 

PREHEAT the oven….very important.

Hope that helps grin

Thanks
James
http://www.andstirwell.com

Signature 

http://www.andstirwell.com

Foodie blog