Can I combine passionfruit and pistachio??? making a wedding cake
Posted: 04 September 2008 05:15 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2008-07-25

Hi,

Iam making my first weddingcake….for 500 people!!!!!!

Daunting task :-(

first of all i am making mousseline BC with passion curd…..can I alternate the layers with passion curd BC and pastachio BC a la Hector? (Making creme anglais with pistachio)??? Would that be tasty?

Regarding the size of the cake, it will be 5 tier cake….tiers placed individually on different hight cakestands. HOw large should the cakes be??

Please help!

Posted: 04 September 2008 10:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Wow - a wedding cake for 500?  I’d love to make that!!!

As for the size of your finished cake, how large would you like the slices to be?  What time of day is the wedding?  What food will be served at the reception?  Will other desserts be served?  Is it a sit down meal or a buffet?  These are the kind of questions you’ll need to consider when planning the size of this cake.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 04 September 2008 10:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

Hey, Patrincia, this is just up your street!  Don’t you wish you could go to Norway and help???
Annie

Posted: 04 September 2008 12:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

from Norway,

Regarding the passion fruit-pistachio flavor combination, I haven’t tried it but would recommend making a small practice cake and sampling it along with the bride.  It will boost your confidence and help eliminate surprises on the big day.  If that doesn’t work out and you need another option, I have seen several people pair apricots with pistachio. 

If you want an easier pistachio BC, I saw a pistachio liqueur that would allow you make a mousseline.  It’s called Dumante Verdenoce, imported from Italy.  I haven’t tried it yet, but would love to hear a review from anyone who has!

Good luck!
Julie

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 04 September 2008 02:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-09-04

I wonder if you really want to combine these two flavors- pistachio is so delicate and passion fruit is quite assertive. Even a small amount in a mouselline could easily overpower the nut flavor. Try it in a small cake or in a base with different amounts of passion fruit.  Bu the way,  I buy frozen fruit pulp passion fruit, guava, etc frozen in 8 oz packets. Is this what you yse or a concentrate?  Good luck

Posted: 04 September 2008 04:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-07-25
AnnieMacD - 04 September 2008 01:59 PM

Hey, Patrincia, this is just up your street!  Don’t you wish you could go to Norway and help???
Annie

Yes Patrincia….please fly to Norway and help me!! I am in desperate need of help :-D

You could visit this beautiful contry and I could learn the craft from you. Not a bad deal?? wink

Yeah, come to think of it…..the passionfruit might overpower the pistachio…...

What combinations would you guys recommend??

Posted: 04 September 2008 04:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

I hear Norway is stunningly beautiful smile.  I think you’ll be fine - we’ll give you all the moral support you need!

Pistachio pairs very well with chocolate, and cherry.  Probably almond too.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 04 September 2008 04:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Patricia, I think you just found yourself a new profession….......The Travelling Cake Consultant.  smile

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 06 September 2008 05:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-07-25
Patrincia - 04 September 2008 07:42 PM

I hear Norway is stunningly beautiful smile.  I think you’ll be fine - we’ll give you all the moral support you need!

Would pistachio and choclate Mousseline BC work in a yellow cake? I thought choclate BC was just for choclate cakes….

Posted: 06 September 2008 08:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15
fromNorway - 06 September 2008 08:28 AM
Patrincia - 04 September 2008 07:42 PM

Would pistachio and choclate Mousseline BC work in a yellow cake? I thought choclate BC was just for choclate cakes….

Oh sure, you can use chocolate bc on any cake you wish smile.  Why don’t you do a small test cake to sample a couple of flavor combinations.  Leftover bc freezes beautifully.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at