Can I omit the salt in the Cordon Rose Cream Cheesecake
Posted: 26 June 2013 02:54 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2013-06-26

I have a child with a kidney disease and is on a heart healthy diet. He loves the Cordon Rose Cream Cheesecake. Could I reduce or completely omit the salt? If so, do I need to add anything?

Right now I only let him have the cheesecake if he has had as little sodium as possible. I’d like to be able to offer his favorite dessert more often.

Thanks for any advice offered.

Billie

Posted: 26 June 2013 09:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4839
Joined  2008-04-16

It will probably work just fine to leave the salt out.  Definitely include the optional cornstarch in case the lower sodium content results in a softer set to the custard.  There is still some salt in the cream cheese.

Perhaps your child’s restrictions mostly apply to sodium?  All the butterfat in cheesecake seems like it might be limited on a heart healthy diet.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 26 June 2013 11:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  611
Joined  2007-11-18
billielea - 26 June 2013 05:54 AM

I have a child with a kidney disease and is on a heart healthy diet. He loves the Cordon Rose Cream Cheesecake. Could I reduce or completely omit the salt? If so, do I need to add anything?

Right now I only let him have the cheesecake if he has had as little sodium as possible. I’d like to be able to offer his favorite dessert more often.

Thanks for any advice offered.

Billie

BILLIELEA:
Good morning.  I have never baked this recipe before. I do bake cheesecakes however. I never add any salt to my cheesecakes never!!!!

The reason is this next time you go shopping at your supermarket. Go to the dairy section to checkout the sourcream selections. Notice the amount of sodium in the ingredient box. It can vary from approx 5 or so grams of sodium to 45, grams for the KROGER brand of sourcream. They are not all the same. Billie just buy the one with the least sodium in it. Trust me it will be the most expensive one.  The more sodium the less in price.

I hope this info will help you make the correct decision for your child.
Good luck & enjoy the rest of the day.

~FRESHKID.