Problem with the crumb of my chocolate butter cake when I make it Factor 3.5 for a 12” pan
Posted: 28 June 2013 07:17 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2013-06-28

Hello, I have been using Rose’s yellow butter cake recipe for ages but decided to give the chocolate one a try for this wedding cake I’m making.
The 16” layers came out perfectly but the 12” are all very fragile and just fell apart when I tried to layers them with the ganache, despite being cooled and refrigerated overnight…. Why? Checked my calculations and all was correct.  Even if its a question of miscalculating the 1/3 teaspoon of baking powder then I would not have had the exact problem with all three layers. Help! I do not have cake flour either, but that has not been a problem in the past…
Had a similar issue once with the white base butter cake at Factor 1.5… The layers just disintegrated. Why???

Posted: 28 June 2013 08:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4807
Joined  2008-04-16

Could it have been too much baking powder?  You mention 1/3 tsp of baking powder, but there is no 1/3 tsp amount for level three chocolate cake.  The baking powder amount for one layer of a RF 3.5 choco cake is 4 3/8 tsp or 1 Tb plus 1 3/8 tsp.  If you were just subbing 1/3 tsp for the 3/8 tsp, that shouldn’t have been enough of a change to make the cake fall apart when cold. 

The problem seems to crop up when you are making just one layer and multiplying by a factor that ends in .5 .  Maybe that sort of factor is prone to calculating errors?

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 28 June 2013 09:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-06-28

Thank you for your input. Yes I was substituting the 1/3 for the 3/8th. Rose is so specific with her measurements I just wish they made 1/3 and 1/8 measuring spoons!!
As it turns out, the 16” layers were a little crumbly too. Perhaps I was over-beating?
Anyway, with just 24 hours before the wedding I will be going back to my Culinary Arts Institute devil’s food cake recipe. Its just a little bit of a crap shoot when adjusting to bigger pan sizes. I’m not a wedding cake baker usually, I make the novelty carved cakes which are more forgiving in some ways.
I will try again without the deadline stress. Perhaps the.5 factor is a bit of an issue….

Posted: 28 June 2013 09:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

There is a set of measuring spoons with both 1/3, 3/8 and also 3/4 and 1.5 tsp measures in it (also 1/16, 2 Tbs, etc.). It is here: http://www.pourfectbowl.com/products.php?product_id=3

re: beating times, if the cake is falling apart tender, that suggests that more beating is needed, rather than less smile

re: cakes being crumbly, Rose’s priority in formulating cakes is that they be the best cake to eat, which means they are very, very tender by design.  Great for eating but more difficult to handle, especially in larger sizes.  It may be that you are doing everything right (sounds like it), but that you want a little more structure to ease handling.  You could try increasing beating times or reducing the baking powder a little.

good luck with the wedding cake!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 28 June 2013 10:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-06-28

Thank you so much for the tip about the spoons. I have sent them an email and hopefully they will tell me where I can order them as it seems to be one of those pampered chefs or tuperware deals, via a rep or wholesale.

So more beating? I thought that would somehow break down the structure… must reread the technical parts in her book!

Thank you again for your help. Wedding cakes sure are a different beast!

Take care,
Alexandra

Posted: 28 June 2013 10:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-06-28

Found the spoons on Amazon.
Thanks again!

Posted: 28 June 2013 08:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank