FIRST WEDDING CAKE THIS SUNDAY! CARROT CAKE QUESTIONS
Posted: 28 June 2013 07:27 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2013-06-25

My first wedding is this weekend and I have several questions if anyone could reply I would appreciate it!
I am doing a carrot cake with Rose’s White Chocolate Cream Cheese Buttercream for a country-style wedding in a large air conditioned “barn”. The weather this weekend will be 90+ degrees.

1) Is syrup necessary for a carrot cake and if so, how much and what kind?

2) A technique of frosting a frozen cake was mentioned in another post - does anyone know exactly how this is done? Partially thaw to torte the cakes, then return to freezer before frosting?

3. It is going to be 90 degrees this weekend, but the venue is air conditioned. Am planning to keep the cake refrigerated as long as possible - But WHEN should it be removed from the refrigerator. With the WCCCBC can cake be out for 3 hrs or will it melt? I followed Rose’s and other suggestions in the form about reducing butter and adding xxxsugar. (I’ve already made the frosting 4X and in addition to reducing butter to 2 oz, I added 2 oz shortening, 2-3 cups Xxxsugar and 1 Tb meringue powder in anticipation of super hot weather and long travel time.) Not crazy about the meringue powder, but being a newbie I wanted to stabilize it as much as possible.
PS. I have 10 x 15 ice gel paks to surround the delivery box.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Posted: 28 June 2013 08:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4746
Joined  2008-04-16

What size are your tiers?  6-9-12?

Are your layers already frozen?

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 28 June 2013 09:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  609
Joined  2012-01-12

If the barn has a/c, then I don’t think show casing the cake for a few hours will be a problem. How long is your delivery trip ? I had once made a wedding cake, buttercream and it sat on the cake table from 1pm ‘til 8 pm..it was fine. They had a/c. The temp was in the high 80’s. It was at Sebastiani winery in Sonoma, CA.

Posted: 29 June 2013 12:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  880
Joined  2009-05-25

Hi!  Carrot cakes are inherently moist so a syrup would be overkill.  I agree, that you should be fine in a/c for a few hours at least.  Since carrot cake is usually pretty soft and the WCCBC is not as hard as other BC when chilled, if your cake isn’t entirely at room temperature, I don’t think flavour or texture will suffer much.  You may want to be cautious of condensation—this is a bigger problem if no a/c and humid conditions.  To minimize…leave cake in container at room temperature until it warms up a bit.
Re: transport:  If your cake is refrigerated and removed right before transport and it’s well packed in a covered box/container, you would be fine in an air conditioned car for quite some time.  I did a few hours with a carrot cake and WCCBC that wasn’t stabilized and it’s amazing how cool a cake will stay if it’s in a container and well chilled and the whole box covered with some blankets (that have been in a/c environment).

Posted: 29 June 2013 03:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-06-25

Julie, this is a small 2-tier of 6-10 and my layers are already frozen. Prettycake, it will take me 1 1/2 hrs to get to the venue.  Sherrie, (and all!) thanks for your tips!

Posted: 29 June 2013 10:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

re: frosting a frozen cake, I prefer to work with a somewhat chilled cake, but not a frozen one.  If the cake is cool, that can help set the frosting on the cake after you’ve piped, etc., but if it is too cold (frozen), then the frosting firms quickly and you don’t have much time to smooth it or work with it.  Also, if the cake is too cold at the point where you have it frosted and are then moving on to piping, condensation can form on the cake and the piping won’t stick.  If it were me, I would defrost in the refrigerator overnight the night before frosting it.  Then I would leave it at room temp for about 15” for the little cake and at least 30” for the larger tier, before unwrapping and frosting.

For what it’s worth, I suspect that your conditions will be controlled enough to allow you to use the cream cheese frosting as written, without the additional stabilizers.

Signature 

Posted: 29 June 2013 07:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-06-25

Thank you Julie for your instructive comments - especially regarding condensation, which is something I hadn’t thought about. My cakes are cooling in the fridge with their crumb coats at the moment and so far, all is well.

Posted: 01 July 2013 09:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1153
Joined  2009-11-24

Do post a pic and tell us how it went.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 01 July 2013 10:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-06-25

Thank you everyone for your helpful comments and kind support. With your help I have officially and successfully completed my first wedding cake! The design was inspired by Julie B. on this forum who several years ago was in the same situation: wedding cake first-timer, Carrot Cake, WCCCBC, rustic decor, fancy barn venue.  She had posted fotos and there was discussion on that thread that were very helpful to me. I actually wrote to Julie B and she was kind enough to write back with details. All your comments here were invaluable from the timing, to using quilts to insulate the delivery box which I had covered with 10x15 ice sheets.  The cake was delicious and because of the comments here, I didn’t stress out (too much) when they finally got around to cutting the cake after it was displayed for 3 hrs. Thank you everyone!

Posted: 01 July 2013 11:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1153
Joined  2009-11-24

Beautiful…  Congratulations!!!!

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 02 July 2013 09:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Wow, it looks wonderful!  I love the design, the flowers, how well it fits with the venue- it doesn’t look like your first wedding cake, it looks like a pro did it. smile

Signature 

Posted: 02 July 2013 04:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  880
Joined  2009-05-25

Very nicely done!  I’m so glad it turned out for you!  I bet the married couple loved it!

Posted: 08 July 2013 01:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-06-25

Thank you again - couldn’t have done it without you!

Posted: 11 July 2013 10:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  185
Joined  2012-05-23

Beautiful work SR in Portland. I like the idea and the roses too!

Signature 

The way to man’s heart is trough his stomach!

Franchise Takeaway

Posted: 11 July 2013 12:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-06-25

grin thank you, Cookie Monster!