Got Brave: Sticky Buns
Posted: 07 September 2008 08:27 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2008-05-27

Wish I had a photo for y’all, but…they’re gone. I haven’t tried the brioche until now, and definitely found that it’s going to be a favorite around here. There were 12 beautiful buns when I took it out of the oven. And now… there’s a small bit of caramel on the plate where they were.

And I didn’t get one!

My question is: Due to unforeseen circumstances, I couldn’t give the dough the second rise like I wanted to. In fact, it only got about 20 minutes in the refrigerator before it had to be wrapped for the final rest. And, I only got about 8 hours in the fridge before I had to roll and raise.

And it was still wonderful. Or so I’m told.

But what were the consequences of my lack of time? And the next time, when I have time, what will be different? Texture? Taste?

Also, due to religious considerations, we have no rum in the house. And we don’t eat raisins.  So to make the glaze, I put a tsp. of corn syrup in the butter and hot water. It worked quite nicely, but if there’s a better idea, I’d love to hear it. (And yes, I know there would be nothing but taste left after the rum had done it’s job…but I’m still not buying it just to make sticky buns!)

And, I also made bread today. I baked one loaf and put the other in the freezer. My question here is, when I defrost it later in the week to bake it, how is it going to taste? Any ideas for making it as wonderful as the loaf I just pulled out of the oven? (It looks just like the loaf in the picture! I’m so pleased.)

Anyway, next week it’s another brave attempt: any ideas? I’m up for a torte I think.

J.

Posted: 07 September 2008 11:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4838
Joined  2008-04-16

I’ve made Rose’s brioche recipe a number of times (for Savarin).  In general, the rising makes the finished brioche lighter, higher, with more air bubbles.  As for the resting time in the fridge, sometimes it makes the dough easier to handle, but mostly it is because the yeast produce superior flavor during the cool spells.  So, next time, your brioche could be higher, lighter and more flavorful!

As for the raisins and the rum, perhaps rum extract and either golden raisins or dried cherries or chopped dried apricots?  But the rum can be purchased in tiny bottles (enough for only one drink) if that option works. 

I’ll let the bread experts weigh in on the frozen loaf!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 08 September 2008 01:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2008-05-27

Ok. That’s why I put my sponge for the bread in the fridge for at least 12 hours and more like 20 if I can. Better flavor development. So I can see that with the buns as well. Thanks. Mind you I didn’t get a chance to see if the flavor development needed any help. <sigh> But at least they were very appreciated.

I looked for some Rum extract when I was at the store the other day and they didn’t have any. But I suspect that was because they were out rather than any sinister plot on their part to keep us from getting some. I think that’s a good idea. I used cranberries, and they worked quite nicely. We’re not a raisin family, unfortunately—I love them, my daughter won’t eat them and we won’t even go into the DSO. I suspect that cherries would work as well. Mmm. Actually, that sounds really, really good. Thanks.

I know that you can buy a small bottle of rum, but you have to understand that you can’t do that here without going to the liquor store, and I’m not driving into Provo! But I think that the rum extract would work well. The question is: how much rum extract to how much water? Ideas?

J.

Posted: 08 September 2008 02:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4838
Joined  2008-04-16

Sorry, not sure about quantities when substituting rum extract for rum, but my instinct is to say that it is better to err on the side of too little than too much!

As for timing of the brioche base recipe, I usually make it leisurely over the course of three days. 

Day 1:  I make the sponge/blanket before bed (after kids are asleep…) then wrap tightly and, after an hour at room temp, give it the night in the fridge. 

Day 2:  Once the kids are at school, I mix and knead the dough, give it the first rise (room temp), then pop it in the fridge.  After 40-60 minutes, I deflate by stirring, back to the fridge for an hour, then take two turns and put it in the fridge overnight again. 

Day 3:  I deflate/shape it (or roll it with the filling), put it into the pan, give it the second rise, then into a well-preheated oven. 

Hope you get to eat a few next time!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 08 September 2008 05:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  282
Joined  2007-11-16

Chopped apples are wonderful in cinnamon buns.  Add some walnuts if your family likes nuts. And next time, save one for yourself!  smile

MrsM