Old Fashioned seedy Cake - need a better recipe!
Posted: 01 July 2013 11:09 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2013-07-01

I’ve been trying to find a recipe for an old-fashioned English cake, Seed Cake, made with caraway seeds. It’s a plain cake that one has with tea. I finally found a recipe, from Mary Berry, 100 Essential Cakes, but it was a bit dry. The result may have something to do with me baking in Vancouver, BC a recipe written for flour etc as well as equipment from the UK.

Does anyone have a reliable recipe written with North America in mind? The recipe I used was as follows:

8 oz self-raising flour (the metric was for 225g which is LESS than 8 oz; when I made it a second time I used 7.5 oz flour & it was better)
1 level tsp baking powder
5 oz butter, softened
5 oz caster sugar
2 large eggs
2 Tbs milk
2 oz chopped candied peel
2 level tsp caraway seeds
Mix dry. Blend in butter, then wet, then seeds & peel. Scatter a few seeds on top. Bake in a 7” lined deep round tin at 180C for 1 hr.

As one may see, it’s dead easy and very plain. The crumb was a bit dry and heavy. Ideas?

Many thanks!

Posted: 02 July 2013 09:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4789
Joined  2008-04-16

Looks like you might be able to add the seeds and peel to a good quality layer cake recipe.  I love the sour cream butter cake from The Cake Bible, especially paired with fruit, and it is listed on this site:  http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/2005/10/roses_favorite_yellow_layer_ca.html

If you want to stick with the recipe you have, it looks to me like it needs more milk, which should make it both lighter and moister.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 02 July 2013 11:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  595
Joined  2007-11-18

AllieTaylor - 02 July 2013 02:09 AM

I’ve been trying to find a recipe for an old-fashioned English cake, Seed Cake, made with caraway seeds. It’s a plain cake that one has with tea. I finally found a recipe, from Mary Berry, 100 Essential Cakes, but it was a bit dry. The result may have something to do with me baking in Vancouver, BC a recipe written for flour etc as well as equipment from the UK.

Does anyone have a reliable recipe written with North America in mind? The recipe I used was as follows:

8 oz self-raising flour (the metric was for 225g which is LESS than 8 oz; when I made it a second time I used 7.5 oz flour & it was better)
1 level tsp baking powder
5 oz butter, softened
5 oz caster sugar
2 large eggs
2 Tbs milk
2 oz chopped candied peel
2 level tsp caraway seeds
Mix dry. Blend in butter, then wet, then seeds & peel. Scatter a few seeds on top. Bake in a 7” lined deep round tin at 180C for 1 hr.

As one may see, it’s dead easy and very plain. The crumb was a bit dry and heavy. Ideas?

Many thanks!

ALLIE TAYLOR:
    Good morning to you. First off let us welcome you to our baking forum. I know that you will like being a member.

YES!!!! Allie, the recipe is out of balance.  The weight of the eggs should be equal to the weight of the fat. you must add 1, more egg & 1, more Tbls of milk in order for this recipe to yield a viable baked product the way you want it to be.

Allie, if you wish a moist, anti~stalling cake consider reducing the sugar by 1, oz & add 1, oz of honey.

Good luck to you Allie…. let us know how well you have done when you re~bake this recipe. We all enjoy reading a success story.

Enjoy the rest of the day my friend.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 02 July 2013 11:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1355
Joined  2008-09-27
AllieTaylor - 02 July 2013 02:09 AM

The crumb was a bit dry and heavy. Ideas?

Did the cake dome? If so, you should be able to add more liquid and baking powder, which should make the cake more moist and lighten it up. How deep of a pan did you use? 

BTW, 8 oz is 226.8 grams, so 225 g is pretty much on the mark.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach