Birthday Cake - Help needed ASAP
Posted: 03 July 2013 07:31 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2013-07-03

HELP! As a time saver, for the past few years I’ve purchased un-iced cake rounds and cupcakes for my son’s birthday. That way I could focus on the decor. Just found out today that the bakery no longer offers un-iced cakes. Our party is Sunday… I need a fool proof, basic recipe—both chocolate and yellow cake. Suggestions please!!!

Posted: 03 July 2013 08:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4804
Joined  2008-04-16

I recommend The Cake Bible!  Recipes are exact, extremely well-tested and proven.  And they taste a lot better than many that are out there.  The book is often carried by libraries if you want to try it out before buying.

For yellow cake, one of my favorites from The Cake Bible is the sour cream butter cake, which is also listed on this site:  http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/2005/10/roses_favorite_yellow_layer_ca.html

For chocolate, the All-American Chocolate butter cake is great, as is the chocolate fudge cake.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 03 July 2013 08:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2013-07-03

Thanks for the two recipe ideas! I love this book. My father had a copy of The Cake Bible but my sister has it now. I’m sending my husband to the library this morning to pick up a copy and we’ll bake tonight. The butter is warming to room temperature and I’ve been loaned the cake pans from the bakery… Any other suggestions? For example using cake flour versus regular flour and pulsing the sugar…

Deb

Posted: 03 July 2013 09:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  607
Joined  2007-11-18

DEBK;
  Good morning. First off let us welcome you to our baking forum. You will do well here.

Deb, Julie has provide you with good suggestions. If in the event you bake these two recipes & you aren’t happy with them, come back & relate your concerns. We can provide other recipes to you.

Good luck & enjoy the the rest of the day & the holiday as well young lady.

~FRESHKID.