new to baking :)
Posted: 06 July 2013 07:12 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2013-07-06

Hi! I’m brand new to baking and I absolutely love it!  Since I’ve graduated I’ve made a few cakes for various occasions and I’m pretty good for a beginner smile I was considering going to school for it because I would like to open a bake shop some day,but I was wondering if it was absolutely nessicary to go because everything I have done so far I have learned by myself by practicingy

Posted: 08 July 2013 12:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1186
Joined  2009-11-24

Well, Welcome to this community of bakers.  Since I am not a professional I have no experience to refer to.  However, I think if you want to bake professionally there are many things you will learn in a shorter compressed period of time that will serve as a foundation for your continued learning, work experience, personal experience and learning. 

But whatever you do, keep hanging out here…..there is always much to learn.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 08 July 2013 12:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1363
Joined  2008-09-27
kali - 06 July 2013 10:12 PM

I was wondering if it was absolutely necessary to go because everything I have done so far I have learned by myself by practicing

No, it isn’t, but probably most of the very best bakeries are run by people with a good deal of prior professional experience, which is probably easier to get if you have some education in the field. Running a bakery successfully is very hard and you’re much more likely to succeed if you learn from people who have already proved themselves. Being able to bake well is less important than being a good business person.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 08 July 2013 02:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  687
Joined  2012-01-12

It can’t hurt to do it. Martha Stewart for one is not a chef nor she went to one, but look where she is. I know for a fact also that there are people who did went to culinary school but cannot do what people like you can do.