Domingo cake
Posted: 15 September 2008 09:38 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  769
Joined  2007-11-15

I made the Domingo cake as a birthday cake for myself this weekend.  If you remember, those of you who frequent this thread, I recently aquired some cake flour when my daughter came over to the States on holiday,  so I was anxious to try it out to see what kind of results I would get in comparison to our UK flours. Well, I was a little bit disappointed with the look of the cake when it came out of the oven, because it had cracked on the top but I turned it over so that it wouldn’t show and put a thin coating of ganache on the top and made a white chocolate leaf to place on the surface.  It looked quite impressive by then, unfortunately because I had quite a houseful here I didn’t take a picture , I felt a bit embarrassed with all the attention!!!  However, I was more than thrilled with the verdict when it was tasted by my guests, as everyone commented on the texture and moistness of the cake and wanted to know who had made it and where the recipe was from.  I had to tell then how I had come to find this blog and all about Rose and her cakes and the fact that I had flour all the way from America, To be honest I think some of my guests think I’m a bit mad!!!!!  Now I want to make it again but I want it perfect next time, no cracks and I promise to take a picture to prove how well it turns out.  I feel I’m one of the club now that I can vouch for the success of Rose’s recipes, I’m raring to try the next one but we are off to Malta this week for a short holiday so it will have to wait till we get back. red face  smile

Posted: 15 September 2008 10:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2570
Joined  2007-11-15

Congrats Jeannette - do you know what your next cake will be?

Signature 

Come visit me at

My blog:  http://butteryum.org

Twitter:  https://twitter.com/ButterYum

Pinterest:  http://www.pinterest.com/butteryum/

Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/ButterYum.ATastyLittleFoodBlog

Posted: 15 September 2008 11:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Congratulations, Jeanette!  It sounds like the cake was really lovely!  A cracked top can be a sign of a too-hot oven or overbaking, you could also try cake strips.  But the problem must have been very mild, as your cake was moist and delicious.  I think some recipes have a tendency to crack a little (not sure about the Domingo, haven’t made that one yet). 

Yes, I’m with Patrincia, do tell us what you’ll make next!  (Enjoy Malta!)

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 16 September 2008 10:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Happy belated b’day Jeannette and congratulations on your success. The choc. Domingo cake is my favourite chocolate cake. I am so happy you were able to get cake flour. I’m sure you treasure it so much and I hope your daughter brought you more than one pkg.  smile Have a good vacation.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 16 September 2008 12:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Thank you all for your sweet responses, I had a lovely birthday with all my family here to celebrate with me.  Rozanne, my daughter brought me two boxes of Swansdown cake flour, so I have a nice little stock waiting for the next baking session!  I thought I would try the Downy Yellow Buttercake next and possibly do one of the acclaimed buttercreams to fill it.  We don’t go in for these type of cakes over here, it is more of the ‘cut & come again’ type of cake that we tend to make.  But I like a challenge and I have read so much about these cakes that I really want to try them and succeed at making them.  Next cake I make I will try and remember to take a picture before it gets started on! grin

Posted: 16 September 2008 06:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2570
Joined  2007-11-15

Oh Jeanette, please forgive me for missing the fact that it was your birthday.  Happy Belated Birthday to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Signature 

Come visit me at

My blog:  http://butteryum.org

Twitter:  https://twitter.com/ButterYum

Pinterest:  http://www.pinterest.com/butteryum/

Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/ButterYum.ATastyLittleFoodBlog

Posted: 16 September 2008 09:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

Happy Birthday, Jeannette!  And… are you going to do a side-by-side comparison with your cake flour and regular plain flour?  Please post.  I make all Rose’s cakes with plain flour now, so no excuses!

Annie
PS My avatar is a pic of Domingo cake made into cupcakes with raspberry cloud cream made with our wonderful Scottish raspberries, and a raspberry and wee chocolate heart on top! A.

Posted: 17 September 2008 05:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

When we get back from our holiday I will be doing a side-by-side comparison, Annie, and I will certainly let you know how I get on!  Your cupcakes look so good, I’m afraid I’m not as good as you at decorating cakes, I need some tips.  I asked on another forum last week, and perhaps you can give me the answer, what size are cupcakes?  It may seem a silly question, but when my kids were young I used to make fairy cakes for their parties and I made them in what were callled ‘baking cases’.  When I compare them to today’s muffin cases they are much smaller, which do you use for your cupcakes, baking cases or muffin cases?And how much batter do you put in them to get a nice top?  I could do with a one to one tutorial on a DVD to help me, especially with the decorating part!  I am more at home making a carrot or parkin type cake, but I’m going to have a go at these cakes in the Bible , I need a challenge! excaim

Posted: 17 September 2008 09:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Jeanette,  Happy belated birthday!!  Honestly, I’m not so sure about the pan/cupcake size where you are.  For kids and a simple recipe (cake plus one frosting) I love to use mini cupcake pans, so the kids who don’t eat a lot can have just one, and the kids who like more can have seconds (or even thirds…).  I’ve noticed a lot of grownups like the smaller size, as well.  For more complicated decorations/toppings, it’s nice to have the standard size so you don’t go mad doing all that work on all those tiny little things!

My mini pans hold about 1oz or almost 30ml (I filled them to the top with water) and my standard pans hold 1/3 cup or about 100ml.  A standard six-cup recipe (two 9"x1.5” layers) makes about 18 standard cupcakes.  My notes say the same recipe makes about 48 minis, I must fill them a little fuller than the standard size.  I like a poufy, rounded top, so I leave the baking powder as is and fill them nearly full, maybe about 0.25 inch from the top of the papers for the standard. 

Annie MacD, those are some mighty fabulous cupcakes!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 18 September 2008 01:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

Jeannette, I use Muffin Cases and have a scoop which I think is about 1/4 cup (40ml) capacity.  I wrote a note that I got 18 cupcakes out of the Domingo recipe so you can work backwards.  If they rise too much I cut the tops off before decorating.  I think it depends if you are decorating or not how much you want to put in the cups.  I’m not very good at decorating, Jeannette, so I just put the cloud cream in a piping bag with a medium plain tip and go around a couple of times!  Just needs a little confidence and some speed.  Thanks, Julie, for the compliment - they did taste pretty good.

Posted: 24 September 2008 04:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  77
Joined  2008-08-19

Ok I have a confession to make.  I just have to get this off my chest.  I frost my chocolate domingo cake.  I know, I can hear your gasps from my living room.  But seriously, if you’re going to eat cake, you might as well go all out.  Even I think traditional buttercreams are a bit much for this cake, but I happen to LOVE it generously frosted with marshmallow (meringue) frosting.  I’m posting this now because I’m actually baking as I type…two layers of domingo cake filled and frosted with gooey marshmallow frosting.  I’m beside myself with glee.  If I have offended any purists, I do apologize, but if there is anyone out there who secretly frosts their domingo cakes, know you are not alone.  wink