What’s your ultimate comfort food?
Posted: 27 November 2007 06:14 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2007-11-27

Mine is a bar of Galaxy chocolate. I was wondering, what foods do other people turn to for comfort?

Posted: 27 November 2007 08:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  124
Joined  2007-11-18

Peanut butter and jelly on hot toast with a cup of tea smile

Signature 

“There is no such thing as reconstituted lemon juice, only reconstituted taste buds.” - Bert Greene

Posted: 27 November 2007 01:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  108
Joined  2007-11-15

Lately, hot cocoa. Guess it’s the cold weather.

Here’s my favorite recipe, from Hershey’s: 2 Tablespoons cocoa powder, 3 Tablespoons sugar, dash salt, 1/4 cup water. Simmer til bubbly and syrupy, about 2 minutes. Add 1 1/2 cups milk and 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract, and heat just until hot enough to serve (don’t boil it once the milk is added. If you like, stir the cocoa with a whisk to make it foamy on top.)

Posted: 27 November 2007 02:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1074
Joined  2007-11-15

Definitely Carbs!

Probably Mashed Potatoes or Mac and Cheese.

Posted: 27 November 2007 02:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2007-11-24

Some really good dark chocolate. Take a small amount and let melt slowly on the tongue…

A glass of red wine. (Have to be careful about this, though. I don’t want to let drinking “sneak up” on me the way it did for my Dad.)

When I’m eating out, I like the “meatloaf of the gods” with mashed potatos and gravy from one of our local diners.

In the summer, ice cream!

Have to stop. I’m making myself hungry even though I’ve just eaten.

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara

Posted: 28 November 2007 08:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Without any hesitation I can say it’s most definitely PASTA-PASTA-PASTA!!!!!!!, any size, any shape, with any sauce, or with no sauce at all, freshly made, dried, or boxed, even leftovers are welcome on my plate - that is, as long as the cooking water was properly salted, and the pasta simply cannot BE OVER COOKED! (that is a crime which should be punishable by law)

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 28 November 2007 09:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2007-11-15

I know this sounds weird, but Chinese take-out.  I love Asian cuisine of all sorts, but for some reason if I’m feeling blue or just blah, eating a big plate of extra spicy Kung Po Chicken with some pork fried rice will cheer me right up.

Second on the list is homemade mashed potatoes, made with real butter and half & half.  Instant mashed potatoes should be outlawed.

Signature 

Save the earth.  It’s the only planet with chocolate.

Posted: 28 November 2007 10:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2007-11-17

Yes! PASTA. Coming from an Italian family, we ate pasta every day.  I remember eating Pasta when I was just a baby.  It is my crave and comfort food of choice.  And then good dark chocolate. Lorraine

Posted: 28 November 2007 10:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Pasts - my ultimate comfort!  Oh yes, one evening when I was VERY, VERY pregnant with our first child, I was feeling rather uncomfortable and was unable to sleep.  I got up and started making myself my favorite pasta - long fusilli.  But guess who couldn’t wait another second to be born?... I never did get to enjoy that delicious plate full of fantastic fusilli.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 28 November 2007 11:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  266
Joined  2007-11-18

My all time favorite comfort food is a well made pizza with a delicious, thin, well-browned crust, small slices of dry-cured pepperoni, and fresh garlic. I’m lucky to have a very good pizzeria called Basil Docs as my next door neighbor smile. They make the best pizza in town.

Besides pizza, a good plate of Southern Fried Chicken is my second favorite comfort food.

Signature 

Visit my blog: The Mile High Baker at http://www.milehighbaker.blogspot.com

Posted: 28 November 2007 09:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  67
Joined  2007-11-22

something that I didn’t have to prepare… like when you arrive at work earlier than is typical for a long day, and your chef, has prepared, something wonderful for you, knowing that you’ve put in 12+ hours the day before, and that you’re back in less than 12   and that this chef, knows that of all the offerings at our restuarant, “his” meatloaf is my favorite and it’s not on our “casual fine dining” menu… ...  OR…. that I have ventured, far from what is home now, to my NJ roots, and find myself at a diner… for sausage and home fries…

if I prepare something. it’d be my auntie’s potato pancakes that she taught me to make..

Signature 

If chocolate were a friend it’d be one needing compliance:
but bread on the other hand is a cahtartic, soulful blend of commraderie, chemistry , and respect.

Posted: 28 November 2007 10:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  130
Joined  2007-11-28

I can’t believe I’m admitting this… must be the anonymity of the Internet grin

Kraft Macaroni and Cheese (the bright yellow kind; not white cheddar, no shells, not Annie’s All Natural) and raw, refrigerated cookie dough (Nestle Break and Bake have replaced Pillsbury Slice ‘n’ Bake as the preferred brand).

Signature 

It’s all about the food.

My Facebook Profile or follow @Cookin_n_Cussin on Twitter

Posted: 30 November 2007 09:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2007-11-15
Dan O?B - 29 November 2007 02:01 AM

I can’t believe I’m admitting this… must be the anonymity of the Internet grin

Kraft Macaroni and Cheese (the bright yellow kind; not white cheddar, no shells, not Annie’s All Natural) and raw, refrigerated cookie dough (Nestle Break and Bake have replaced Pillsbury Slice ‘n’ Bake as the preferred brand).

LMAO!  I love it.  Don’t worry, dear…some of us eat Kellog’s Frosted Flakes straight from the box.  grin

Signature 

Save the earth.  It’s the only planet with chocolate.

Posted: 30 November 2007 06:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  143
Joined  2007-11-17

Beef stew or braised chicken… which I eat with rice. smile

Signature 

Come visit my blog
http://occasionalbaker.blogspot.com

Posted: 07 December 2007 05:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2007-11-20

very soft scrambled eggs made with cottage cheese and (if I have any in the house) smoked salmon.  My mother used to make this in a double boiler when i was growing up - we called it “scrambled soup”.  Which brings up another question - does anyone still make double boilers any more?  I needed one a week or so ago, and had to improvise with two saucepans; it was a very rickety setup that I was afraid was going to topple over the whole time I was cooking.

Posted: 07 December 2007 05:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15
janebmd - 07 December 2007 09:01 PM

very soft scrambled eggs made with cottage cheese and (if I have any in the house) smoked salmon.  My mother used to make this in a double boiler when i was growing up - we called it “scrambled soup”.  Which brings up another question - does anyone still make double boilers any more?  I needed one a week or so ago, and had to improvise with two saucepans; it was a very rickety setup that I was afraid was going to topple over the whole time I was cooking.

I could eat smoked salmon until I get sick!

Re the the double boiler - a better option than two saucepans nesting together - just put a large metal or heat-proof glass bowl over a pan of simmering water.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

‹‹ December Holidays      Food blogs ››