Any bakers w/small children?
Posted: 19 September 2008 01:20 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2008-08-28

I was just wondering if there are any fellow bakers out their trying to hone their skills w/little uns’ running about?

I have a 6 year daughter who proudly lost her 3rd tooth. The left front so she has a lisp. I also have a 3.5 year old INSANE twin boys.

Signature 

Barbara

Baker in a Barn
http://www.bakerinabarn.com
MAAA-VALOUS!

Posted: 19 September 2008 02:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Been there, done that… as a matter of fact, that’s how my “bake in the middle of the night” habit started.

cool smile cool smile cool smile cool smile cool smile cool smile cool smile cool smile cool smile

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 19 September 2008 08:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  77
Joined  2008-08-19

I have a 2 year old and a one year old (they are 13 months apart).  Although I manage to bake 2 or 3 times per week, it can only be described as complete chaos.  Luckily they are excellent sleepers, and 3 hour nappers, so I do have some time to work by myself.  If I happen to pull out the mixer while they are awake, my 2 year old screams “cupcakes!!!!” and immediately pushes her kitchen stool over and grabs her spatula from the drawer.  It is the joy of my life wink.

Posted: 19 September 2008 10:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4741
Joined  2008-04-16

Wow, 3.5 year old twin boys!!!  You must be a master of thriving amid chaos! 

I have a 7 year old daughter, who sometimes helps out with baking. Because of my baking habit, she has developed very discerning tastes and won’t eat shortening-based frostings and the like.  Her favorite thing is to wield the pastry bag.  She’s good at making drop stars.

Her favorite Cake Bible dessert is an apple variation of the Pineapple Upsidedown Cake, though really she loves anything made with the Sour Cream Butter Cake.

Even with just one child, though, I often will prep things after she goes to bed.  And I love making things like the Brioche, which can be made in steps spread out over three or four days.  It’s hard to find large blocks of time for time-sensitive projects.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 19 September 2008 11:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1419
Joined  2007-11-15

we were 5, and my mother put us to work in the kitchen from a very young age!

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 19 September 2008 12:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15
Julie - 19 September 2008 01:41 PM

I have a 7 year old daughter, who sometimes helps out with baking. Because of my baking habit, she has developed very discerning tastes and won’t eat shortening-based frostings and the like.

HA!  I know how that goes wink.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 19 September 2008 01:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

My daughters are 5 and 2 1/2. They both want to help everytime I bake. I absolutely love it and encourage them….......BUT….........sometimes it drives me nuts. The challenge is when I have to make a cake for someone else and I can’t afford to let them mess around. Fortunately my husband takes them off my hands till I’m done. My 5yr old had requested that I start collecting cookbooks for them.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 20 September 2008 08:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  592
Joined  2007-11-27

Mine is 12 going on 13, and I started my business when he was 5.  Although I always worked out of a rented kitchen, not at home, I practised at home (on styro, making flowers, honing technique).  He’d want to decorate in the worst way so I would let him decorate slices of bread smile

What’s funny is that his favorite sweets are oreo cookies and, now that he is old enough to assert what he wants for his birthday - Carvel Ice Cream cakes!  He’ll eat the crunchy things in between the ice cream and none of the outer frosting!

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 22 September 2008 03:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  253
Joined  2007-11-29

oh jeanne, i love a carvel cake too! lol

i started baking because i wanted to be the mom who made the best cookies on the block! my son would sit in his high chair and put his mouth on the bowl while I ran the mixer. i think he liked the vibration.

now he’s almost 12 and i hope he will work in the shop with me when we open. he already watches ace of cakes with me, and even though we don’t use fondant, i hope it translates into a love of baking…if only for the help!

jen

Signature 

http://www.ellavanilla.com

Posted: 04 May 2009 11:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  211
Joined  2008-11-03

My daughter just turned 4 and loves to help bake (until she can sometimes be distracted by the television, if it’s on). She has a cute chef’s hat, two aprons and little pot holders. I like to have her help but she doesn’t realize that things have to be carefully measured and is a bit too quick to want to scoop and dump! Then I get, “Can I taste it?” “Can I taste it now?” every two minutes. She is a doll though and hope she will grow up loving baking like I did and do.

Posted: 27 June 2009 02:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  880
Joined  2009-05-25

I have an almost 1 1/2 year old little guy, who can be a bit of a challenge in the kitchen.  He burrows his way between myself and the counter so he can be the centre of attention!  I usually wait until he’s asleep or napping or with hubby before I bake.  They certainly make things a challenge…just as the curd is approaching the 180 F mark, they decide to wake up!  Can’t run the dishwasher when he’s awake…turns the knobs (no lock out…but I’m already dreaming of my next one!).  I too, do better with things I can make in stages.  I don’t know how many loaves/batches of buns I’ve overrisen because I had to tend to him and put him back to sleep while they ballooned up.  He loves to mix!!  Give him a spoon and a cup and he’s a happy camper.  He’s also developed a fondness for my favourite kitchen implement…the whisk!  I have 8 different whisks (which I love dearly in their own unique ways) and have finally splurged to get the Matfer giant balloon whisk…Can’t wait to see his face (and mine!) when it arrives.

My biggest challenge is going to be encouraging healthy foods…he’s only known the likes of his birthday carrot cake so far.  I just hope that occassional quality homebaked treats will turn him off of all of the store bought garbage out there!  I love that some of the kiddies are turning their noses up on shortening icing!!  Bravo!

‹‹ Cupcake Confusion      food allergies ››