converting cake recipe from 9” round pans to rectangular
Posted: 13 July 2013 04:23 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2013-07-13

I want to bake Rose’s White Velvet Butter Cake (from the Cake Bible) in a 10x15x2” pan—actually two pans since I want two layers. The recipe calls for two 9 x 1.5” pans.

I can’t figure out how to adapt the recipe. Can I just double it and put half in each pan? I’m concerned that it may not be enough batter, especially because the pans are 2” deep, but don’t want each layer to be so high that it’s unmanageable!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Posted: 13 July 2013 06:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  611
Joined  2007-11-18
lisarh - 13 July 2013 07:23 PM

I want to bake Rose’s White Velvet Butter Cake (from the Cake Bible) in a 10x15x2” pan—actually two pans since I want two layers. The recipe calls for two 9 x 1.5” pans.

I can’t figure out how to adapt the recipe. Can I just double it and put half in each pan? I’m concerned that it may not be enough batter, especially because the pans are 2” deep, but don’t want each layer to be so high that it’s unmanageable!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

LISARH:
    Good afternoon. I did the math for you. Here are the results. The recipe equates to 41,5/8ths oz of batter…..5,1/8th cups.

The 10x15X2, inch pans contain18.75, cups or 150, oz to the top. BUT!!! you only want to not fill it between 50% to approx 60% to allow for the chemical leaveners.  Each pan will receive 75, oz of batter. or 9, cups of batter.

Soooo, 2, pans will require you to do 3,5/8ths the recipe. I think the easiest thing to do here is to do a 4X the recipe & with the excess bake a few muffins.

However if you must know the exact amount of the ingredients I can do that for you.

I hope this info will help you make the correct decision for your self.

Good luck & enjoy the rest of the weekend.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 14 July 2013 08:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4839
Joined  2008-04-16

You can also use the Rose Factor section in the back of the Cake Bible, it will allow you to scale the recipe and also to adjust the leavening to prevent any dipping that might occur as a result of moving to a larger pan.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up