Wedding cake on the 19. oct…..need HELP!!!
Posted: 19 September 2008 05:34 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2008-07-25

I am making a cake for a wedding on the 19th of october (four weeks from now)  big surprise

I am making a large 5 tier cake…. the pan sizes are 14”, 12”, 10”, 8” and 6”. The cake is meant for appr. 500 people. There will be two other desserts and the cake will be served in the end of the reception with the tea. Serving size is 1"x1"x4”. (it seems small but the dinner is a buffet with loads of food and dessert. This is an indian wedding…and they serve a lot of food.

My big big problem is how to bake with the yellow cake reciepe for these size pans. This is the Wilton set which is 3” high and not 2” high as suggested in TCB.

Would it still work???

Also, I ordered a cake stand from ebay today…. will i get it before 19. october? You don’t get that kind of stand here in Norway…...and I have to have it. Cause that is what the agreement is with the bride.  grrr

Patrinicia….Hector…..anyone…...please help me!

(Yeah i know…... I am a little panic-struck)

Posted: 19 September 2008 05:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1420
Joined  2007-11-15

Hi there, follow the rose factor for baking powder.  If you are using 3” high pans, you must fill it accordingly.  You must multiply your ingredients by 1.5x because 3” pans are 1.5x bigger than 2” pans!  The amount of baking powder remains the same (for 3” pans or 2” pans) because it has to do with surface area tension which is the same regardless of dept.

I will just try!  You will have fairly assured results if you bake at 25oF lower, for more even layers, but longer time.

I am not an expert on butter cakes, as you may know.  For Biscuit, Genoise, and other baking powder less foam cakes, I don’t need to computate the amount of this in any cake pan size, it always comes out even.

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 19 September 2008 09:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Wow… sounds like a wonderful wedding!!!  I really hope your ebay cake stand arrives in time… did you contact the seller to tell them you need it asap? (might motivate them to ship it faster).

have to say I haven’t tried baking any of Rose’s recipes in 3” deep pans, but sounds like Hector has given good advise.  Do you have access to other the new Martha Stewart Wedding Cake Book?  It includes recipes for both 2 and 3” pans.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 19 September 2008 10:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2008-07-25

Hi Hector,

You mostly bake genoise or bisquit right? Which one is the more liked by people? Here in Norway bisquit is the cake always used in tiered cakes….. buttercakes are little known. Maybe I should try making a bisquit? Do i follow the genoise master chart? Also, have you ever added pistachio nuts istead of the flour in a bisquit?  I am thinking of making the wedding cake with pistachio SMBC alternating with choclate SMBC….

Posted: 19 September 2008 11:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Regarding biscuit, I think it is a lovely choice, mainly because butter cakes are already pretty sweet and for wedding cakes they need to be syruped in order to remain moist, making them even sweeter- too sweet for my taste. 

Hector probably has lots more information (and maybe an opinion or two!), but I feel like biscuit is also a good pairing with pistachio because it is delicately flavored and won’t overpower the pistachio. 

Substituting ground pistachios for part of the flour weakens the structure of the cake and results in a cake which is dense, not high and light.  There is an Italian pistachio liqueur called Dumante Verde Noche, which might be a much easier and better way to add pistachio flavor to your cake (i.e., using it in the syrup).  The only other way you might try is to sub pistachio oil for the browned butter in a golden genoise.

Another important consideration is whether you have equipment that will whip a HUGE volume of whites- I’m thinking of that 14” layer…

Good luck!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 21 September 2008 12:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  324
Joined  2008-03-19

In my experience, it is no problem to use a 3-inch high pan instead of a 2-inch high pan. You don’t need to increase the amount of batter going into the 3-inch high pan unless you want a taller layer.

I just made a wedding cake for my sister’s wedding. On the 6-inch diameter tier, I had a 2-inch high pan and a 3-inch high pan. I used the “Cake Bible” recipe, weighed the batter into each pan. The 2-inch high pan was half full, the 3-inch high pan was one-third full. Both layers came out fine. If anything, the batter in the 3-inch-high pan rose a tad bit higher, probably because there was more support along the sides for it to climb. (I used Magic-cake-strips on both pans). But the little extra height made no material difference on the finished cake.

You might consider going with a butter cake, since it is unusual in Norway. I personally prefer butter cakes over sponge-type cakes. If you look in the “Cake Bible,” you will find a recipe for Butter Cream Cake on p. 34 and Sour Cream Butter Cake on p. 35. Both of these cakes, according to the side notes, are more evenly moist the day after baking.

If you want to introduce pistachio, you might consider putting a thin layer of pistachio marzipan (p. 323) between some of the cake layers.

Good luck!

Posted: 22 September 2008 03:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  253
Joined  2007-11-29

hi! just thought i would chime in.

i agree that you should lower the temp of the oven by 25 degrees for more even baking. i also suggest making 2-3 thinner layers instead of torting a thick cake. that way. you won’t have to change the recipe at all, just bake more cakes. i stink at the rose factor, because i am too dumb to use it! this is the way i compensate! i bake three 1 inch layers, add some butter cream between and viola! a four inch tier!  i bake 2 eights with one batch, a 10 an a 6 with one batch and so on so that none of the batter is sitting out while others bake.

as far as ebay goes, the real problem will be how long your item takes to get thru customs in your own country. be sure you let your seller know that you need it by… and be sure to pay the VAT if your country has one, so that you get the item on time. otherwise, it will be sent back.

good luck,
jen

Signature 

http://www.ellavanilla.com

Posted: 22 September 2008 09:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Please search the blog for answers to the issue of using 3” verses 2” pans (if you are using Rose’s cake recipes).

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com