Peanut butter wedding cake
Posted: 15 July 2013 08:52 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2013-07-15

Hi, I’m new to the forum, and I’m finding myself in a bit of an emergency. I signed up hoping for some guidance.

A bit of background: I’ve been baking all life and specifically baking using Rose’s recipes for about a year now. I found her book through the Original Hawaiian Chocolate website (I had to find the original chocolate oblivion torte recipe (: ).  I do reasonably well but I wouldn’t consider myself anything other than a novice.

My brother got married rather suddenly last Christmas at a courthouse. He’s been worried about us accepting her and recently extracted a promise from me to make her a belated birthday cake when they come to our family’s big beach get together. Due to various reasons, his wife has not yet had her big princess day. They had a date but it keeps getting put off. Mom came up with the idea of throwing a small party for them at the beach as a surprise.

Hence a small birthday cake has suddenly become a wedding cake, not a huge cake but it has to have that feel, you know?

I have to keep it simple, but what they like is peanut butter and chocolate. I have the recipe for the peanut butter-cream, but what about an actual peanut butter flavored cake? His favorite candy has always been Reices Cups, I wanted to do peanut butter inside, chocolate outside.

Posted: 15 July 2013 11:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  291
Joined  2011-10-15

Hi MachaChiffon and welcome to the forum.

Joy the Baker (the book by Joy Wilson) has a very good recipe for a peanut butter layer cake. It’s moist, not too sweet and has great peanut butter flavour. It’s good with milk chocolate but the flavour is strong enough to stand up to bittersweet chocolate as well. Reese’s peanut butter cups are one of my son’s favourite treats so I made his last birthday cake using this recipe with a chocolate buttercream….everyone loved it.

Posted: 15 July 2013 12:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-07-15

Thanks! I’ll look for the book.

My sort of hazy plan was a two tiered cake, 9” on the bottom, 6” on the top, filled with peanut buttercream and a thin coat of bittersweet ganache and finish it off with the creme ivorie deluxe to give it the wedding look.

Posted: 15 July 2013 04:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  291
Joined  2011-10-15

MachaChiffon, I think you’ll find the recipe easily online since many bloggers have baked the cake and posted the recipe. I believe the correct name is Peanut Butter Birthday Cake.

I’ve never made the creme ivoire but I understand that it tastes very strongly of white chocolate (and can be very tricky to make and apply). If you’re aiming for a reese’s cup flavour, it may dilute the peanut butter-chocolate flavour.  I’ve seen many beautiful and elegant wedding cakes covered in dark chocolate ganache…maybe the creme ivoire isn’t necessary? If you’ve made the creme ivoire and know what to expect, then please ignore me smile

Whatever you choose, I’m sure that your brother and his bride will be thrilled!

Posted: 15 July 2013 06:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-07-15

Thanks again!

I haven’t made the deluxe version, but I have made the plain creme ivorie as a glaze to drizzle on turtle cheesecake to contrast dark chocolate to make a pretty topping. I’m not into lots of buttercream decorations and I fondant is definitely more fun to make than it is to eat.so I was hoping a thin layer would give it the “look” without being too much.

Posted: 16 July 2013 01:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1180
Joined  2009-11-24

hmmm peanut butter and chocolate—- so delicious together.  I love chocolate so much, I made mine with chocolate cake, peanut buttercream filling and out and a chocolate glaze (not a thin one). 

have you ever made the lacquer glaze? That will work over top the peanut buttercream, have a fancy look but chocolate…  just a thought.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 16 July 2013 09:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4795
Joined  2008-04-16

I love the idea of a chocolate (dark brown) wedding cake, and there are a number of them around, they have become more popular over the last ten years or so.  They can be made to look wedding-ish with flowers, etc.  The lacquer glaze is just so beautiful, it would be very special.

If you really need the cake to be a more traditional color, I recommend the white chocolate mousseline from the Cake Bible.  It is a paler ivory than the Creme Ivoire, and it’s dreamy and delicious without tasting overpoweringly of white chocolate.  It’s also much easier to work with.  If you haven’t made mousseline before, here are few tips:

-When considering batch size, be careful of how much expanding meringue your mixer will hold- volume will be higher than the finished buttercream volume suggests.

-Check the update to the procedure on Rose’s video and in RHC.  Basically, when I make it, I find it easiest to make the meringue first, beat it for five minutes or so while it’s cooling, then transfer it to another bowl and occasionally run a whisk through it while it finishes cooling.  While that is cooling, I take the same mixer bowl I made the meringue in (no need to wash it) and whip the butter until very light, pale and fluffy.  When the meringue has cooled and the butter has warmed enough so that they are both at about 70-75F, dump all of the meringue into the butter and whip until it comes together.  No need to suffer through that one tablespoon at a time thing with the butter, with a large batch size that can take forever and be very stressful as it curdles (curdling is normal!).

-Heed the instructions to re-beat the buttercream after storing or after sitting for a while.  The turning spongy/rebeating thing also means that you have a limited window in which to work the buttercream on the cake- it’s fine to take an hour or even longer to frost the cake, but then don’t go back after it has sat for a while and try to re-work the buttercream, you’ll get streaks and softening.

Good luck!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 16 July 2013 10:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2013-07-16

Chocolate ganache with the glaze makes a beautiful wedding cake. I did one recently and it was one of my favorite cakes I’ve done!

http://citrusspicebakery.blogspot.com/2013/06/chocolate-lace-and-roses-wedding-cake.html

Posted: 16 July 2013 02:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  769
Joined  2007-11-15

Sarah G,  I just clicked on to your website and I must say you have some beautiful cakes on there!  Surprised that you have no comments, is it known that you have a website?  Others on here will be interested to see your cakes I am sure, you can expect comments very soon. grin

Posted: 16 July 2013 04:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2013-07-16

Thanks, Jeanette! You’re sweet!

Posted: 16 July 2013 05:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-07-15

I really like the sugar veil Sarah G. It’s beautiful!

Posted: 16 July 2013 06:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  600
Joined  2007-11-27

The combination of chocolate cake and peanut butter meringue buttercream is wonderful; we get requests for it often.  We soften a little bit of peanut butter and then add it to the buttercream; I’ve found it is possible to add too much so go slowly - the added fat from the peanut butter can break the emulsion but the lightness of the meringue buttercream keeps you from getting tired of the peanut butter flavor too quickly.  We sometimes run a chocolate cupcake with PB BCRM and candied bacon on top.  We run out as soon as people know about it!

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 19 July 2013 12:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-07-15

Thanks everyone. I’ll let you know how it come out