Cake help: burnt on bottom and raw in the middle
Posted: 16 July 2013 07:19 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2013-07-16

I recently tried a Jewish Apple Cake recipe for the first time. It was the very basic Jewish Apple Cake recipe that’s so common, baked in a standard nonstick tube pan.

The flavor was amazing, but the cake was badly burned - as in black - on the bottom, and still a bit raw inside.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Thanks!

Posted: 16 July 2013 09:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  632
Joined  2008-01-24

Sounds like your oven was too hot. Ovens can vary. I would buy an accurate oven thermometer and check the temp.

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 17 July 2013 12:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  676
Joined  2012-01-12

Yes, as what Gene said it is definitely your oven temp. How much batter was in the pan ? 2/3 ?. Is your pan a nonstick black pan ? I would say turn down the temp to 325 maybe.  I’m sure it will be fine next time. Good luck.

Posted: 17 July 2013 10:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

In addition to lowering the oven temp, you may also need to move the cake pan to a higher rack in the oven (sounds like it may have been too close to the heat source if most of the burn is on the bottom, as opposed to the sides).

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 17 July 2013 11:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  599
Joined  2007-11-18
BakinFat - 16 July 2013 10:19 PM

I recently tried a Jewish Apple Cake recipe for the first time. It was the very basic Jewish Apple Cake recipe that’s so common, baked in a standard nonstick tube pan.

The flavor was amazing, but the cake was badly burned - as in black - on the bottom, and still a bit raw inside.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Thanks!

BAKINGFAT:
  Good morning. I am sorry to learn of your recent baking disappointment.  I would like to help you. But I would like you to post the recipe & the mixing technique,ete, so that I can evaluate if the recipe is in balance or not. It can very well be a oven temp problem as stated by our learned members…..& maybe not.  It can be the fault of the recipe itself as well.

Till then BakingFat good luck & enjoy the rest of the day.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 17 July 2013 06:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-07-16

Thanks for your responses!!

I will certainly turn the oven down a bot next time I try the recipe.

Yes, the tube pan was nonstick. Could that have been part of the problem?

The recipe is in the link below. It was so delicious, I really hope I can perfect it!

http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2008/09/moms-apple-cake/

Posted: 18 July 2013 02:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-24

I looked at the recipe and it says to bake 1 1/2 hours at 350. Wow! that is a long time. The example cake shows some over browning in the picture. If you baked it the recommended time your oven would not have to be far off to burn.

Signature 

Posted: 18 July 2013 09:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Wowie wow wow that is a long bake time!  Standard advice for a dark colored pan is to lower the oven temp by 25F.  If your non-stick pan is of the dark variety, then probably 325F is better than 350F for a baking temp.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 18 July 2013 10:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2013-07-17

Two more factors i’d investigate…..were the fruit too cold? Did you preheat your oven?

Posted: 18 July 2013 11:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-07-16

Hi and thanks again for the input!

The apples were room temperature, and yes, I preheated the oven.

Part of the problem was that the cake was still a bit raw on the inside…if I lower my oven temp, I’m thinking it won’t burn on the bottom, but I’m concerned that I’ll get an even more undercooked inside…

Any thoughts?

This is a great forum—so glad I found it!

Posted: 18 July 2013 11:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  599
Joined  2007-11-18

BAKINGFAT:
  Good morning. I have srutinized the recipe for you. Thank you for the timely reply.

Here is my take on this recipe. Based on baking science dictates.

The recipe is not balanced very well.  You can use 1, more egg ...plus you can increase the liquids by 1, additional oz.
Also Bakingfat, as you know the 1, TBLS of baking powder equates to 3, tsp worth. Ordinarilly my friend that would be at minimum for 13, oz of flour ....(2 3/4, cups)  We must take into the account Bakingfat the weight of the apples. They average at 5, oz per. that is almost 2, pounds worth. Of course we must deduct the peelings & the coring which probably you will end up with 16/20, oz of chunky apples. We must add more leavener….basically this is your baking problem. Assume an additional 1,1/4 tsp of baking powder. 

Bakingfat…. Member Julie suggested to you to reduce the oven temp by 25 degrees if your baking bundt pan is of the very dark variety.
I will mention the following to you as well.  Never, never place a bundt or a tube pan in the oven on top of a baking sheet. Just place the pan onto the oven grating.
One more thing Bakingfat try and ascertain the accrucy of the oven temp at least within 25, degrees then make a +/- adjustments.

Butterfat you asked for “ANY THOUGHTS”  well you just received mine.

Good luck to you & enjoy the rest of the day my friend.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 18 July 2013 03:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-07-16

Thank you, Freshkid, for taking the time to analyze the recipe and provide some tips.

I am making a note of your suggestions…regarding the additional egg, the additional liquid and the baking powder.

Very much appreciate your help!

Posted: 21 July 2013 09:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-24

In regards the under cooked interior and lowering the temperature. Paradoxically lowering the temp should help cook the interior. At too high a temperature the exterior cooks so quickly that it insulates the interior. By lowering the temperature the entire cake has a chance to absorb heat more evenly.

Signature 

Posted: 22 July 2013 10:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-07-16

Very interesting, Gene! Makes complete sense. Now I understand.

Thanks!

Posted: 22 July 2013 04:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  676
Joined  2012-01-12
Gene - 22 July 2013 12:14 AM

In regards the under cooked interior and lowering the temperature. Paradoxically lowering the temp should help cook the interior. At too high a temperature the exterior cooks so quickly that it insulates the interior. By lowering the temperature the entire cake has a chance to absorb heat more evenly.

Thank you Gene… for stressing the reason why, keyword here is temperature.  Sometimes oven temp varies.