Best Brand of White Chocolate for Whisper Cake?
Posted: 23 September 2008 02:48 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2008-09-18

Hi y’all!  I’m relatively new to this site, but have been a fan of Rose’s for a long long time.  I love baking the White Chocolate Whisper Cake (made one yesterday with strawberry filling and Swiss Meringue - yummy).  I’ve always used Ghiradelli white chocolate because it’s easy to find here, but I’m betting there’s a better one out there.  What do you recommend?

Posted: 23 September 2008 11:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4795
Joined  2008-04-16

Hello and welcome!  I did a taste test a few weeks ago when making the White Chocolate Whisper, and I very much preferred the flavor of Callebaut white to the Ghiradelli bars.  Grocery stores often buy the huge blocks and break it up into smaller pieces for sale.  In one store I go to it is in the cheese section; in another, it is with the bulk items (lentils, nuts etc.).  Strangely enough, it never seems to be in either the baking supply section or with the other chocolates…

Another good quality white chocolate is Lindt.

By all means, use the best you can find in this recipe, because the flavor of the white chocolate does come through.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 23 September 2008 12:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Welcome bakingmomjtb!  I use the Lindt or the Green and Blacks white chocolate. I prefer the Green and Blacks. The flavour is outstanding.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 23 September 2008 02:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  77
Joined  2008-08-19

Rozanne,  where do you get your Green and Black’s white chocolate?  I use Callebaut and love it, but I’d like to give Green abd Black’s a try because I love their bittersweet chocolate.  My local grocery store, Target and Wal-mart sell Green and Black’s, but not the white chocolate.  I haven’t checked Whole Foods, but I’m due for a run there as well, so maybe I will find it there.

Posted: 23 September 2008 03:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18

Gia, I live in Toronto. Hopefully someone else will be able to help you. Sorry! I know I am of no help at this point.

Signature 

Posted: 23 September 2008 03:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18

Gia, just thought of something….......try your local health food store. Because it is organic you might be able to find it there.

Signature 

Posted: 23 September 2008 06:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  77
Joined  2008-08-19

Thanks Rozanne - I’ll do that.  I think I can convince my kids that going to a health store will be fun as long as we come out of there with chocolate….

smile

Posted: 23 September 2008 08:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  86
Joined  2008-04-23

Let me chime in on the Green and Black’s. It’s my favorite for ganache and chunks. I’m so glad to hear that it bakes up well. I’ve found it at Vitamin Cottage and Sunflower Market. It does have vanilla specks in it, a feature to bear in mind for decorative applications.

Cathy

Posted: 23 September 2008 10:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-09-18

oooh…the vanilla specks sound interesting.  I have vanilla bean extract ‘crush’ from Sonoma Syrup Co. (a combination of Madagascar Bourbon and Tahitian vanilla with vanilla bean seeds) which I like to use in homemade vanilla ice cream.  I was wondering about using it in this cake in place of the regular vanilla, and if the white chocolate also had vanilla specks in it, that would be nice.  What do you think?

Posted: 24 September 2008 03:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  86
Joined  2008-04-23

I think that would be great. The contribution from the white chocolate would be minor, but if you’re planning to have vanilla bean specks anyway, they’ll be welcome. Vanilla bean specks trigger good memories for me of Breyer’s natural vanilla icecream, IMHO the best commercial vanilla icecream for topping pies.

Oh, a nice white chocolate for ‘immaculate’ occasions is El Rey. It has more chocolate oomph than most white chocolate.

Cathy

Posted: 24 September 2008 03:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1421
Joined  2007-11-15

I bought a 6.6lb block, SUchard Tobler Narcisse from my local restaurant specialty store.  I am very happy with it, and the amount of cocoa butter is superb for all preparations relying on cocoa butter for room temperature estability.  I cut it in smaller blocks and vacuum pack each, and these are stored in the freezer for near indefenite shelf life.  It isn’t recommended to freeze chocolate, but for my use, and considering it is in vacuum, it is just fine.  Callebaut or Cocoa Barry are also good choices.

Rozanne, so many people from Canada attended Elaine’s wedding, I love them all, so warm.

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 24 September 2008 03:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-09-18

Thanks, everyone…I’m looking forward to trying all your suggestions.  Happy baking out there excaim

Posted: 24 September 2008 11:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18

cool smile  Yep, that’s us Canadians….....warm and friendly….........  Hector, I thought Tobler Narcisse was discontinued or did you get it before that?

Signature 

Posted: 26 September 2008 08:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  96
Joined  2007-11-05

i thought it was discontinued too!
i love green & blacks and valrhona ivoire.

Posted: 15 February 2012 05:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2008-10-12

I’ve been using the Green and Black brand white chocolate.  LOVE it.  Not to sweet like Godiva one I’ve tried.  30% cocoa butter.  I use it for the white chocolate cream cheese frosting from her 2nd cake book.