Honey Cake
Posted: 26 September 2008 06:11 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-09-26

I actually posted somewhere else on the site because I didn’t see the forums. Now I think I am posting in the right spot. Basically, its the Jewish New Year coming up and I am searching for the perfect honey cake. I have Rose’s Cake Bible book but there is no mention of a honey cake in there. Anyways, if anyone has any amazing honey cake recipe’s or Rose, if you by chance happen to read this post could you help me out?
Shana Tova to all of you in the know….

Posted: 29 September 2008 12:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  324
Joined  2008-03-19

L’Shana Tova to you, linuss.

I am afraid I do not have the perfect honey cake recipe, if you are looking for something traditional.

In the Cake Bible, Rose has a recipe for a Queen Bee Cake that has honeyed components, such as a honey buttercream and a nougatine honey crunch. I have never actually made this particular cake, but it would be a very “honey” cake in keeping with Rosh Hashana.

My own preference is to do a more Sephardic-style dessert: phyllo-wrapped apple slices with a honey glaze on the outside of the pastry.

Good luck, and I hope this helps.

Posted: 29 September 2008 06:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  49
Joined  2007-11-19

I have never tried a honey cake and am not Jewish…but I know Marcy Goldman has a couple recipes for honey cake on her website…www.betterbaking.com.  I believe her and Rose know each other, so I hope there is no issue with me posting her website.

Signature 

“If we couldn’t laugh, we would all go insane.” ~ Jimmy Buffett

Posted: 01 October 2008 10:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  49
Joined  2007-11-19

UPDATE - I just got Marcy’s monthly newsletter where she talks about her honey cake and mentions it is available at Epicurious…and it got a 4-star rating.

Signature 

“If we couldn’t laugh, we would all go insane.” ~ Jimmy Buffett

Posted: 06 October 2008 12:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-10-05

I am sorry that my reply will not be in time for this year, however I have a solution for your problem. This is a cake that I have baked for over 30 years.

The reason you have had difficulty in finding a Honey Cake to make is that it is not known as “Honey Cake” in most books. In Jewish books it will be called “Lekach” (Yidish). In most other books it will be called spice cake or pain de spice.

Cakes of this kind have been made since the 15th century. They were first to be made with artificial raising agents. Honey was the sweetener of choice because it was cheap. Refined sugar was not widely available until the end of the 19th century. Any kind of honey cake or spice cake needs to age for at least a week in a tightly closed tin or foil wrapper. It then can be frozen but the spices tend to loose some of their flavor when frozen.

Like all baking, measure ACCURATELY.

2 Cups all purpose flour
2/3 Cup superfine sugar
2 level teaspoons spice mixture (your choice. I like a mixture of allspice, cloves, cinnamon and chinese pepper, finely ground)
3/4 Wildflower honey
1/2 Cup Corn or Canola oil
2 large eggs
1 level teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 Cup Orange Juice
1/2 Cup Walnuts; roughly chopped

All ingredients should be at room temperature.

Completely and smoothly line an 8 inch loaf pan. I prefer parchment but waxed paper will do. allow at least 2 to 3 inches of liner to extend beyond the pan on all sides.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. at least 30 minutes before baking.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar and spices and mix well to combine. Make a well in the center, then add the honey, oil and eggs. Mix until smooth. Dissolve the baking soda in the orange juice and add to the batter mixing until smooth. Add the nuts.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 1 1/4 hour or until firm. NO PEEKING. This is a heavy batter and will fall if subject to draught. Remove from oven and cool completely, in the pan. Remove from pan leaving liner on cake. Wrap tightly in foil and allow to mature for at least a week.

Enjoy.