Help with how best to ice cake with Rose’s Food Processor Poured Fondant
Posted: 30 September 2008 12:54 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2008-04-12

Hi - I made Rose’s Food Processor Poured Fondant icing yesterday and it was really lovely. However I had a bit of a problem applying it to my cake. I was icing an All Occasion Downy Yellow Butter cake. It poured beautifully onto the top of the cake and started to run down the sides…and all was looking great. However, it didn’t pour uniformly enough over the cake sides and so there was still a lot of gaps.  I tried to move the icing into the gaps with my spatula but then crumbs started to get into the icing.

I’m a total novice to baking and cake decorating and I would really appreciate any tips to deal with this. The taste was great even though it didn’t look very pretty. Before pouring the fondant icing over the cake should I have chilled/frozen the cake. or given it a coat of buttercream? Maybe I didn’t thin the icing enough with the sugar syrup - I was hoping for a cake robed in white icing with no cake showing.

Also, if I ever do master the poured fondant icing, would it be OK to pipe buttercream icing on top of this. I’m not too keen on buttercream icing and prefer the taste of this poured fondant.

Another query - should you chill a cake before torting it?

Thanks in advance for any help or input you can give me. 

PS Isn’t The Cake Bible just the most wonderful book in the world! smile

Posted: 30 September 2008 01:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Poured fondant takes a bit of practice wink.  If I were to use it to cover a full size cake, I would do a crumb coat with buttercream first, then pour the fondant on.  For torting, I find a chilled cake is easier to handle, but it’s not mandatory.  If you do chill the cake layers, bring them to room temperature before covering with poured fondant.  Don’t refrigerate after covering with the poured fondant either. 

Long live the cake bible!!!
smile

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 30 September 2008 02:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-04-12

Thanks Patincia - that’s really helpful. The taste of the poured fondant was that good - I won’t mind persevering with it. I’m sure all the practice efforts will be eaten, even though they don’t look that brilliant.

Posted: 01 October 2008 11:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

Glazing/pouring over the sides isn’t easy.  One thing Rose does to hide any imperfections is to decorate the sides with something, like affixing chocolate leaves for the glazed chocolate torte.  If your design incorporates decorations on the sides, you’ll have a fallback option for where the glaze doesn’t sit smoothly.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 02 October 2008 04:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-04-12

Hi Julie - that’s a great idea. I could even adorn the cake with a ribbon around the sides if all else fails. I hadn’t thought of using a method to disguise it.

Posted: 02 October 2008 05:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  253
Joined  2007-11-29

you can also do two layers of the poured fondant, letting the first dry before second application. if you are using a spatula to smooth be sure to push the fondant in one direction only and never lift the spatula. rather, smooth it right to the edge.

jen

Signature 

http://www.ellavanilla.com

Posted: 08 November 2008 07:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

I’ve never used poured fondant to cover an entire cake (I’ve only used it to cover the top layer of Napoleons) However, I would think that a crumb coating would be helpful so that it doesn’t absorb into the cake.  I do use chocolate glaze quite often to cover a cake…and the technique of pouring it is pretty much the same…and you must be sure that you have a lot.  There is definitely some practice involved…but if I were you, until you get that practice, make a larger batch (increase the recipe by 1/3 perhaps) I would think that it would still fit in the food processor, and you could keep pouring until the cake was covered, giving you the flawless finish you are looking for.  After all…the ingredients for poured fondant are sooooo inexpensive, what’s the harm?
Good luck!